slow start-up, install...

barrowman

Registered
What is wrong with my supposed super-fast osx, when it starts up, as it gets to configuring network time, the progress bar stops for about 3 minutes, then shoots through the rest, I also find that when installing it flies through the supposed install, but then when it comes to configuring system, clean-up it seems to take forever...

What is wrong, is there anything I can do to fix this...

installation optimization always takes awhile. in the long run it makes everything run faster. don't whine about this one. it's really a good thing.

3 mins to boot into osx seems a bit long. What kind of internet connection are you using and what do you have in your startup items folder? are you on a network?

in other words, more info please:)

Hi, I've got a dial-up connection and an airport (G4 667mhz) its obviously trying to connect to the internet or something like that, but if its going to take so long I really couldn't care for a couple of seconds. I wonder if there is a way to by-pass all this Server-type stuff.

I am not finding OSX that fast at all. So waiting for 5 minutes each time I install an updated version of software which is quite often these days doesn't really pay off...

Thanks at least I know that's there isn't anything wrong...

Is it during the "configuring network" task ? It can be related to the "using a networked clock" option. If this option is enabled, disenable it and see if it's different.

rezba is right. there are potentially other programs that will want to connect right away as well but the time server is the #1 offender. obviously you are going to have to wait for connection whenever you do it so the choice is largely yours as to when that will be.

go to www.versiontracker.com or www.macupdate.com and get a program called xoptimize. it will prebind all your apps to the system and make launch times faster for them. this is the same thing that the system optimization does for the system parts during that phase that takes so long. it shouldn't take more than 4-5 mins tops to run this program. and then you only need to run it again after you have installed more osx apps.

and i always reccomend using the latest version of plus optimizer or techtool pro to degragment and optimize the drive on a regular basis. this brings back more zip every time.

that startup delay is very normal - apple's network time client doesn't detect if you are online or not. I suggest setting this to manual as well, in the System Preferences.

BTW, if you want to update your prebindings the fun way, here's how:

Login as an admin user.
Open the terminal.
type:
sudo /usr/bin/update_prebinding -root /

When asked, enter your password.

I don't completely understand why this makes things faster - it just does!

I'm using the Apple network time server, and do not have a hang at startup for configuring network time. I suspect this is a condition that is affected by the route between your machine and the NTS.

The slow start-up in OS X is not at all normal. My cube boots X as fast as it does 9. However, when it cannot connect to a DNS or DHCP server upon boot, you can expect the long delays. I had this problem when the DNS servers were offline. Everything took forever, as it was trying to talk to these severs at boot, or when Mail launched or OmniWeb launched too (which makes me wonder what it is doing when loading a blank page).
Try eliminating any automatic settings in the Network settings when using cable or DSL. I have only noted this problem recently, since I moved and switched from fixed IP DSL that was 99.9% available. Compared this to cable using DHCP where I have had 3 times where I lost access for more than 2-3 hours in less than one month.

Sorry for not clarifying:

When you don't have a valid internet connection, and you have a startup service which requires the internet, BOOTING IS SLOW!!!

Examples situations which create the invalid internet connection:
1) your computer requires dhcp for network information and the dhcp server is down.
2) you accidently disconnected your hub
3) you use dialup and it doesn't dial on startup.

Now, examples of services which require the internet to work properly:

1) Apple's network time server
2) Dynamic DNS on startup
3) Automatic NFS mounting (BAD idea, did it once and had to remove it in single user mode)

So, you see, many users who have any combonation of the two above situations WILL have slow startup.

BTW, when all is well, osx boots very fast for me as well. Don't know about os9.. I haven't booted into that forever.

The reason its slow, is because the services that are being started (which you can turn off individually) have no network connection at that time (yes you know that), however the packets that the "service" thinks its sent have to "timeout" before booting will continue.

One place to look outside of the "system Preferences" are the "rc???" files in /private/etc. I think there should be a reference to ntp startup in rc.local or rc.boot.

You can demo this at work on any UNIX workstation, by disconnecting the network during boot up, things can get seriously slow.

The issue here is not really a problem, because you can disable it, but a result of a larger more complex OS. The tradeoff of having a flexible system usually means an extra level of complication.

Which is wonderful, but if you are a one man band working on book reviews or something like that, all that extra networking power trade-off isn't much of an advantage...

Are we going to see a kinda NT/Win offshoot creeping into OSX at some stage, as all the consumers that Apple is targetting with the iMac for instance will not appreciate how complex a system OSX is, and how wondeful all this UNIX stuff is, they will just think its SLOW!

Ok I hear ya.

As my ID would suggest I tend to lock my self in a room and ferret away, which is not whats needed for a desktop environment. My problems is that I come from a UNIX background where digging around is mandatory.

When I get home tonight I'll have a look and see what GUI tools there are in MacOSX to control what is turned on by default at boot up, my guess is NetInfo would be the place to start.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to use Macs at work and I'm branded a "clown" (for want of a better word) for using them, so my turn around is a little slow, but I am 8 hours ahead.

a program was put up on versiontracker today that supposedly allows for complete control over startup items. reviews are mixed. but it sounds like some features are just for those who know what they are doing

click here to check it out

Originally posted by barrowman
What is wrong with my supposed super-fast osx, when it starts up, as it gets to configuring network time, the progress bar stops for about 3 minutes, then shoots through the rest, I also find that when installing it flies through the supposed install, but then when it comes to configuring system, clean-up it seems to take forever...

A lot of people have emailed me asking me about this very problem. While there may be multiple causes for network start-up problems, I am aware of a specific incident that is caused by the port scan order of ACTIVE ports listed in the Network Preference Pane (TCP/IP settings).

Try re-ordering your ports AND de-selecting (de-activating) unused ports (you can always turn them back on on-the-fly).

To do this, simply go to Network preference pane. Where it says "Show" select "Active Network Ports" and re-order the ports (drag and drop) to the following order:

1) AirPort
2) Built-In Ethernet
3) Infra-Red Port
4) Modem Port

[Then "Apply" settings.]

This routinely solves many Internet Connect App, firewall problems, and Network startup delays.

Good luck ... hopefully this fix will work for you too.

Back