Slow startup (2:30 minutes too much) after installing 10.1.5

mcginkel

Registered
After installing 10.1.5 on my iMac I see a delay of 2:30 minutes after turning on the machine. I see a smiling mac for 2:30 minutes before it continues booting.

When I select a system 9 as startup it starts rigth away. switching back to macosx gives the delay again.

I can get into the firmware with Option-command O-F immediatelly,

Starting in single usermode with option (or was it command)-S takes the 2.5 minutes.

When it waits there is regurlar disk activity, but not that much. I tried fsck -y, diskutility etc but no improvements.

Any Ideas what my mac is doing while I see the smiling mac ?

Kees

Well before I did anything else I'd boot into OS9 and run Disk First Aid (or Disk Doctor if you have it) just to make sure everything is ok on your hard drive, could be something got goofed up in the process of installing X.

Originally posted by mcginkel
After installing 10.1.5 on my iMac I see a delay of 2:30 minutes after turning on the machine. I see a smiling mac for 2:30 minutes before it continues booting.

When I select a system 9 as startup it starts rigth away. switching back to macosx gives the delay again.

I can get into the firmware with Option-command O-F immediatelly,

Starting in single usermode with option (or was it command)-S takes the 2.5 minutes.

When it waits there is regurlar disk activity, but not that much. I tried fsck -y, diskutility etc but no improvements.

Any Ideas what my mac is doing while I see the smiling mac ?

Kees

I found, that if you use the Network Time option, and say your high speed modem isn't on.....when you boot up, your system will just sit there, trying to get the proper time.

But if you're problem is happening before that...at the smiley face, you might wanna consider wiping your drive, and reinstalling. If you back up your system, I don't see any problems....have you considered calling Apple, or checking the Knowledge Base?

"I installed the latest firmware from apple and the problem disappeared..."

Thank you for that information. I've had the same problem since downloading 10.1.5 and I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it. But again, thank you. I'm off to try it.

Back