Slow startup, and Option key not read

xuratoth

Registered
I have a MacBook CoreDuo 2.0 with 1GB of RAM with Tiger 10.4.10.

Recently it has started booting very slowly - it can take up to 30 seconds from the initial chime to the Apple logo appearing.

Tonght, I decided to do a Disk Repair, so placed the "Install Disc 1" in, shut down, held down the Option/Apple key and pressed the power key.

The MacBook boots up as normal - i.e. it does not offer me the choice of booting from the HD or from the Install disk. The disk is being read as the drive whirrs away for a while, but that's about it.

Anyone seen this before? Anything I can do? Could it be something to do with the PRAM, and if so should I reset it? If I do, what settings would I lose?

Many thanks for any assistance.

PS - I made 2 attempts, just to be sure. Same problem both times.

Thanks bobw, that got me booting into the Install Disc. Disk Utility identified a "minor" problem with the boot volume's header, and fixed it. The Apple logo now appears in about 2 seconds rather than 30 :)

However, I just checked and the Option key is still not being recognised when I restart. Any ideas on that?

The one thing I forgot to mention was that the problems started soon after I installed and quickly uninstalled Bootcamp 1.2. I had a real problem getting the MacBook to boot to OS X rather than the Windows partition, although I eventually did succeed (can't remember how though!), and uninstalled Bootcamp after reclaiming the Windows partition for OS X. I use VMWare Fusion instead now! ;)

Back