slow web browser

Lennonabbeyroad

Registered
On my ibook G4 and My PowerMac G5 I use the built in Airport for wireless internet broadcasted by a linksys router. What i don't understand is that my internet web browser is very, very slow, but other programs that use the internet on my computer are not, and the PC that is driectly hooked to the internet is not. Also i use firefox and its been updated. So my question, is there some way to change some settings to help increase my internet speed. Also i heard that the airport cards don't work that well with linksys so would buying an apple wireless base help or could i install a different wireless card? Thanks for looking at my problem.

This is pretty basic--but clear your cache and cookies. It may just work--I'm not too familiar with Firefox, but it tends to pale in comparison with Safari, which I use more frequently.

I beg to differ with unexpectedgift....I find Firefox to be more scalable with its extensions and other add-ons than Safari. Sometimes Safari even has problems rendering pages that would come up fine in Firefox, SeaMonkey (the "new and improved" Mozilla suite), Camino, and Opera. But this is why we have choice, no? :D

Try viewing the sites in other browsers like Safari and Opera and see if you get the same problems. If not, then it could be something in Firefox that's causing the problems (maybe some sort of add-on/extension or a plug-in). You might have to delete Firefox along with all the assorted preference folders and .plist files and then reinstall Firefox to see if that resolves the issue with Firefox.

If the same thing happens to all of the other browsers, then it could be something network related. Try different configurations with your wireless equipment and network settings (such as including DNS nameservers on the DHCP server so that DHCP clients also receive the DNS nameserver information).

Do some detective work. Firefox without extensions, or just a basic few - does that help? Sometimes it's just a matter of downloading a fresh copy of the browser. Sometimes it's having a too-bleeding-edge version of Firefox. How are other gecko browsers on the same sites? Mozilla, Camino, SeaMonkey ....

No matter it's devotees, Firefox has consistently had problems with OS X; they're getting better, but Safari can generally be trusted to perform better, aside from its perennial javascript problem.

Have you tried the G4 and/or G5 build from beatnikpad.com?

I don't see where you could possibly have a network/hardware problem if you're getting good internet access speeds otherwise ...

Another option is to trash various preferences, any apps involved, also internetconfig ... Disk Warrior 4 does a fab job of checking for corrupt plists!

Interesting. I have yet to experience any problems with Firefox on my Mac (iMac G5) or any other Mac that I've run it on. The only extension I use on Firefox is the User Agent Switcher, so the problem might be extension/add-on related.

About the only complaint that I have about it is that it's not more Mac-like as Safari or Camino, but that's the least of my worries. The fact that it's consistent across all operating systems make up for that unMaclike factor in my opinion.

I also have absolutely no problems with Firefox on my machines.

Try removing the router and connecting your internet modem directly to one of you Macs (Ethernet cable) and see how it works that way.

Some Links routers don't work well with Macs.

Also see if Links has a Firmware upgrade for your router.

Back