Slow wireless network

phyllwill

Registered
I have broadband internet access at "up to" 8mbs. In reality this is about 6mbs from my Powerbook G4 connected by ethernet to my Speedtouch 536 ADSL modem.

The Powerbook has a 802.11b card so I have set the base station to only provide 802.11b. 11mbps is way above the 6mbps I can get from the ISP so should be sufficient. Connecting by ethernet to the AEBS LAN port and AEBS WAN port connected to Speedtouch modem. This gives a maximum of 6mbps (the best I could hope for).

I have 2 Apple Airport Extreme (bubble type) base stations bridged to provide wifi throughout the house (I need to get around a massive stone chimney in the middle of the house).
As well as my powerbook, I also have a PC and there are 3 other PC users in the house.
There are no sources of radio interference. The AEBSs are running firmware version 5.7.

The maximum speed I seem to be able to get is 2.8 mbps when connecting wirelessly.

I have tried:
• turning off the remote bridged AEBS and placing the powerbook in the same room as the main AEBS when no other users were trying to connect - this achieved a maximum of 3.5mbps
• various channels on AEBS - no improvement
• downgrading to firmware 5.5.1 - no improvement
• turning off security - no improvement

My question is -
Is there anything else I can try to improve the speed or do I need to upgrade to a newer standard of WiFi ?

This would mean getting new wireless cards for several of the computers as well as 2 new routers so I want to explore all the options before I do this.
I have invested in a couple of Homeplug ethernet-over-power bridges which seem to work well (especially around the chimney) but we still need the wireless network.

Many thanks

Back