Slower Start-Ups than usual

andrewk

Registered
I use a mac-mini G4 1.25 GHZ with 1GB of ram. With the advent of Tiger (i just made the installation yesterday), it seems like its starting up slower than usual. Taking at least a few minutes or so, more than it used to. I know it's no big deal but i noticed a drastic difference between when i first bought it and compared that with where it is now. I have to wonder if this is going to continue to get worse. Is it just all the extra system add-ons like Dashboard and Spotlight that give to slower boot times? I should probably also mention my harddrive space is nearing it's capacity though i don't know if that would have anything to do with it. Any ideas to improve start up time?

Sometimes this helps. In System Preferences go to Startup Disk and click on your HD. Now click the lock to prevent any changes. Re-start and see if it's any quicker. If the computer has to scan for any device with a system on it it will also scan the network (even if there isn't one) which may take some time.

If you 'updated' to 'Tiger' (MacOS X 10.4.x) from 'Panther' (MacOS X 10.3.x) then check your User's '~/Library/Favorites/' folder for any 'Internet Location' type files. Temporarily, move such file(s) to the 'Desktop' and reboot. Any success? If so, place each file back into the 'Favorites' folder, and reboot; noting - which file causes the delay, and resolve the issue.

Otherwise, consider the following ...

Boot your Mac from your 'Tiger Install' disc, and select the 'Installer, Open Disk Utility...' menu item.

After 'Disk Utility' launches, click on your Mac's hard drive's icon (in the left side list), click on the 'First Aid' tab, and then click on the 'Repair Disk' button (perform this action again, after the operation). Next click on the 'Repair Disk Permissions' button (again - perform this action once again).

Reboot the Mac to your Mac's hard disk drive, any success?

Back