slowest web browser

roger

Registered
Seeing as we have a thread for the fastest web browser, I think that it is important for symmetry that we know what is the worst out there.

My start is IE (version 5.50.4134.0600 - really!) on my PC at work. I admit that there maybe something wrong with it, but it has always done that since I started here a few months ago. (The only thing slower is getting IT to fix it ;) )

news.bbc.co.uk renders in a little over 20s. (This is after the page has downloaded.).

You know, IE on my PC does a weird thing too. It seems to pause for about two seconds before each page load. It doesn't comsume CPU and it's not bandwidth (my mac on the same cable modem works fine).

It just waits. Yawn. That's one of the reason it doesn't get used much at home.

Vanguard

PS This brings me to another point. You can't judge an OS (or app, whatever IE/NT is) as stable until you've used it for a year. NT is always great at first. Give it time, it will fail constantly.

Vanguard - that is what mine is doing as well.

Actually, I find NT quite stable. I used to have it at home. The reason I got rid of my PC and went with the Mac is because you can't plug anything into it because it doesn't support USB or Firewire (or didn't when I threw out the machine - I haven't looked for a long time). I didn't want Win95 (or its derivatives) because it has zero security on the internet and so Mac is the only choice for me. What use is a computer when you can't do anything with it apart from create spreadsheet and get email? I think that we all know the answer.

I did find NT more stable than OS9, which I found very similar to win3.11 in stability, but when OSX came out I haven't looked back. I like to run several applications at the same time - and I can say that my productivity has dramatically increased with OSX because I can run them with confidence that my computer will never crash.

And anyway, the hardware looks a lot better. ;)

R.

must be your setup. ie6 on winxp is the finest browser. i'd go so far as to say that windows is still the best browsing platform, not only because all needed plugins are always available instantly (linux still doesn't have a shockwave plugin, and mac os x didn't have one for a long time, realplayer not available for mac os x etc.). that doesn't change my experience that the mac is the superior platform overall, but browsing is better in windows. and lots faster, too.

If they wanted, Microsoft could make browsing as fast as on windows... Seems they don't

I agree, there's really nothing faster or as fast as IE on Windows, not even Opera or Netscape 6. I haven't tried Omniweb , I don't have OS X but I suppose even Omniweb isn't as fast, is it?

Actually, OmniWeb is quite fast on my mom's iBook (600 MHz combo) and my dad's G4 Powerbook. I used IE at work on Windows last summer, and I have to say OmniWeb is very comparable. I imagine on a dual GHz G4, OmniWeb would absolutely fly.

Remember, this is the SLOW thread :p

I think the public netscape is pretty bad, as wel as ie and omni.. I don't know.

I just hate waiting for pages to render.

Just to be clear, you guys know my fav browser, right? :D

Originally posted by roger
What use is a computer when you can't do anything with it apart from create spreadsheet and get email?

Well my old PC makes an excellant door stop.

Bernie :eek:)

What OS is your PC running? Do you sometimes come home and find your door shut, or even worse, bright blue?

I don't use my PC as a door stop mainly for security reasons - it lets anyone right in.

Roger.:D

Using IE 5.0 in WinNT 4.0 (yes, we are behind the times, LOL) on a Dell connected through a LAN at work is not faster than using Mozilla, iCab or Opera on my iMac with a cable modem connection at home, FWIW.
As for security, there are still some great big holes in Win 2k and XP.
:p

Mozilla is slow and IE 5.1 is slow. Mac browsers are slow. My desktop pc with IE6 completely blows my ti 667 (both have 512MB of ram) out of the water on opening up browser windows. Its practically instantaneous.

Here's why IE opens so fast on pc's:

ITS PART OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM!!!

People, XP preloads ie when you login. Duh.

Now try this. Open up a given application in mac os x. Quite the app. now load it up again. Loaded faster didn't it. Now just imagine if it was part of your os. It would load as fast as new windows in the finder launch.

I for one am very pleased that IE is not integrated into my system.

btw, ie runs slowest for me out of omniweb sp28, mozilla mach-o (nightly), and IE current release.

sp28? Silly, go download sp36.... just select "Check for Updates..." from your "OmniWeb" menu.

kilowatt is spot on. IE is basically the same application as the Explorer application (i.e. Finder equivalent) in Win32. This means that it calls in instance of the application from a class library that is already in memory when opening Explorer. They have tried to cover it up a bit by putting an executable wrapper on it recently, but in the Win95 and WinNT they didn't bother.

R.

Back