Small Tip & a Small Question

JohnnyV

Registered
First the tip: to select more then one thing in column view (not in order) you can use the command/apple key!! I've never seen this documented (maybe cause i don't read them)and double click one to open all selected things. Second the question: how can i delete things in my startupItems folder (/Library/StartupItems)?? Is there a why to do this without using unix?

Thanks

Open system preferences and click on "Login". Here you can select what will open when you start up, and what doesn't! (Login Items tab)

thats not what i meant, i knew that; i'm talking about the stuff in the StartupItems folder inside the library folder on the main level of my drive (it loads while starting up, its not an app). the thing i am trying to delete is NortonAutoProtect from the NAV beta. Any suggestions? top says it takes up lots of processor power and i don't have the beta anymore, and can't get it deleted!
Please help!!:confused:

from terminal:

rm -r /Library/StartupItems/IDontWantThisStuff

If it won't let you

sudo rm -r /Library/StartupItems/IDontWantThisStuff

And give it your password. If you are an administrator on the computer, that ought to work.

I had tried that before, but it didn't work, must have been a typo i didn't catch. retried it and it worked! thanks!:D

sure you can........ but why????

most of the items in startUpitems are controlled in the hostconfig file.

/etc/hostconfig

using mv would be safer....

not knowing how to use the terminal to mv; cp; rm; mkdir; is the surest sign that you don't need to do it......

I hit 200 views! Its my biggest thread yet! Congrats to my self! BTW I managed to remove the NortonAutoProtect without any problems using the Terminal:p

Back