Smartdisk NAS Drive Problem

death2windoze

Registered
I just bought a Smartdisk 400Gb NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive to add to my home network, Powerbook, iBook, Netgear DG834PN wireless router. These are supposed to be very easy to configure and I'm not a novice when it comes to networking but I'm stumped.

I can connect to the disk through Bonjour to the browser based configuration system. I've been able to go through the setup routine, changed the time, name, passwords etc and added new users, all very basic and easy. I also have assigned read/write permissions to the new users and added my own shares. It comes as standard with an Admin and Guest user and a Public share. Trouble is that when I try to mount the disk across the network I can only connect using the Admin user. When I try any of the other users, including Guest, I am told that the alias could not be found as the original doesn't exist.

What seems strange is that I have changed the Workgroup name to my network's name but it still appears under the original 'Workgroup'. Also, if I try connecting by using 'Connect to Server' it cannot be found using the IP address or Bonjour name.

I have also tried factory resetting, re-formating to ext3, DHCP and static IPs and made sure the Firmware is up to date.

Any ideas as its currently a very expensive paperweight.

I don't have one of those, but most of them use Samba (Windows sharing) to connect. Do you have Windows Sharing on in Sharing Prefs? and when you connect to server, are you using smb://[IP_address]?

Update on where I am with this. Smartdisk are being next to useless and keep quoting the manual which didn't help in the first place. We have a PC running XP that can see the NAS fine and can read & write to all of the shares and users. I have managed to get the Macs to connect to the NAS through smb:// but when I connect to any users other than Admin I am told that there is zero k available and cannot write to the share. I have checked and double checked the config and cannot for the life of me understand where the problem lies. BTW, the Workgroup name still won't change from 'Workgroup'.

I had same problem. Called their tech support line (203-453-7330). They told me it was a problem with the latest firmware version (2.3.2.03b). The guy is sending me an email with the previous version (2.3.2.02b) & said the issue should be resolved after I install that .... we'll see

Back