SMB and SAMBA?

Not meaning to be rude, but I myself am not sure what the answer is. Check out:
www.samba.org

That will give you alot of info on samba. I believe, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, that the OSX SMB really is just the frontend to the smaba client. The samba server is not running in OSX. But that is just my best guess.

Good Luck.:)
SA

As I understand it, SMB is the protocol (that Windows and Linux use)--also known as CIFS, and SAMBA is the open-source implementation. I'm open to correction, though. . . .

the SMB support that comes with OSX is client only!

that means that you can connect to a windows box, but that windows box cannot connect to you. with samba, you can be the server. you share out your volumes to all the windows boxes. now you are on equal footing with all the windows boxes on your network.

there is no samba version delivered with OSX. you have to download it and compile it yourself. it s not hard. apple has a nice HOW-TO for compiling installing and configuring samba on OSX.

Well, you can download the SAMBA binary installer for X from versiontracker and avoid the intense pain of compiling. I've tried it, and I got it to a work a little bit, but the config software kept crashing on me, so I dumped it. I think I'm now ready to try it again by editing the config files. Whoohoo!

I've tried using Samba on the all PC network my two macs are on and I my Mac running OS 10.1.3 won't see any of the other computers. I've tried typing IP's only and IP's with directorys. Help, Please! Any ideas?

-Dixon

Back