SMB and WinXP

jabhome

Registered
Does smb work out of the box with WinXP. I was able to connect to my WinXp box using

smb://MSHOME;jason@192.168.1.100/MyDocuments

when I had the Dave 3.1 beta installed.

I also connected to my NT network at work using

smb://hcpd/hc1

Problem is ever since removing the beta of Dave which expired I can't connect to my WinXP box at home.

Incidently why does smb or Dave not work if I use the Windows computer name. For example if I use

smb://MSHOME;jason@Winxp/MyDocuments

where Winxp is the name of my computer it just does not work, even with Dave installed.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to buy Dave just to use my WinXP box for storage, but I do think I should be able to figure this out unless XP is not supported by OSX's internal smb.

Thanks,
Jason

I forget the exact files... but when you remove Dave the files are still there using CFIS protocol instead of SMB. That is why it doesn connect via built in SMB in X. I had the same problem and fixed it. Look in your Preference and Library folders and make sure the CFIS and other Dave prefs are all deleted and you should be able to use the built in SMB in 10.1. also check the sbin directory and make sure there are no CFIS mount files in there.

Hope that helps you out.

I'm pretty sure CIFS (not CFIS) is exactly the same protocol as SMB, just named different when MS felt like a change. You're right in saying that uninstalling DAVE lets you use the built-in SMB client in 10.1, but I don't think it's for the reason you gave.

Use the DAVE installer to completely uninstall DAVE and it should work fine. Don't manually delete things - you're bound to miss something. Let the installer do it all for you, and do it properly.

- Sam

Like I was just saying.... I HAVE seen this, DONE this and FIXED it. CIFS and SMB will conflict from Dave. Dave uses it's own CIFS protocol and the built in SMB of OS X WILL conflict. That is what is causing the problem. If you delete the Dave CIFS mounting at start up it will fix the problem.

I actually ran the Dave uninstaller and tried to locate any remants of the CIFS files on my system but I can't seem to find any junk lying around. If the CIFS files were the problem though would I fail to connect at work. I can connect to the NT domain at work with smb://domain;user@computer/share but when I try the same type of url on my XP network at home I have no luck (I have tried every possible compilation of the URL, caps, no caps, partial caps, everything and no go). I actually reviewed the requirements for XP and made sure all my shares were actually available, they all have Level 5 security which is pretty loose, but I still can't gain access to them.

At work I enter the above url and I get the box that asks for the Domain, User and password, I leave the password blank and I can connect (I have no password at work). When I use the same thing at home I don't even get the box. It is just so frustrating when I can figure something like this out. Has anybody read that the smb client has trouble with XP, at least if that were the case I would stop trying until I heard about a fix.

Thanks,
Jason

Things to check in your configuration

Windows XP
TCP/IP (doh, make sure you have the same subnet)
Netbios (You have to additionally install it, its listed under IPX/SPX)
Sharing, (when in sharing, just click "Just share this folder"don't use the wizard, it resets your tcp/ip configuration) You can put in a password if you want.

Mac OS X
TCP/IP (sometimes you tend to take this for granted)
Remnants of Dave is eliminated
Connect to Server:: smb://nameofwindowsxp/sharename
This will prompt for Workgroup/User/Password. If you have put in a password for the share, put it in there.
So far if you try to mount your home directory in XP to SMB, you will not be able to see the contents of it because of the automatic file permissions set in XP when sharing.

To see your Mac OS X machine from windows XP. Install SambaX & SSCT or use Dave X 3.1

Back