Smb/cifs - Error -36 Problems

rev41

Registered
SMB/CIFS Connection Problems: Error –36 or the Alias cannot be found - when trying to connect to one of my Windows XP Pro boxes.

My network consists of the following:

1. Dell1 running XP Pro connected to my network by Ethernet cable to the AirPort Extreme Base station.
2. Dell2 running XP Pro connected to my network wirelessly through the base station.
3. IMac G5 running Tiger (latest version) connected to my network wirelessly through the base station.
4. PowerMac G4 running Panther (latest version) connected to my network wirelessly through the base station.

Problem: Although Dell1 & Dell2 have the exact same setups (except for Dell1 being hard wired to the Base station, and Dell2 being connected wirelessly), and although both Macs see both Dell1 & Dell2 as being part of my network, I can only access shared files on the Dell1 machine without any problem. However, I have not been able to access shared files on the Dell2 machine. When I try to use Finder’s “Go – “Connect to Server” – smb://10.0.1.4 for the Dell2 machine, I get the error –36 message. When I click on the alias for the Dell2 machine, get the error response “The alias ‘Dell2’ could not be opened because the original item could not be found.”

What is going on here? Any suggestions?

I have solved my own problem. The computer on my network that I could not access was my wife's. I did not know that she had installed a non-XP firewall on that machine. That firewall was blocking all attemps to access her computer from the local network. So, I couldn't access her computer even when I disabled the XP firewall. When I discovered the 2nd firewall, I told it to allow access for the necessary range of IP addresses, and now my network is OK!

Back