SMB client and Unix permissions

foobar104

Registered
I have a Samba server at the office (SGI with IRIX 6.5.13 and Samba 2.2.1, if anybody cares) and I was anxious to try the new SMB client in 10.1.

The good news is that it seems to work great: Connect To Server, enter a URI of the form smb://servername/sharename, then enter the workgroup, username, and password for the share. Poof, it's mounted at /Volumes/sharename.

(NOTE: Apple says to only mount one share at a time, or risk a kernel panic. I haven't tested that yet.)

But here's the funny: when I do an "ls -l" on my home directory on my Samba server, from a login on that server, I see the ownerships and permissions that I expect. But when I do an "ls -l" from a Terminal on my iBook, I see everything as owned by me, group "wheel," permissions 755 (rwxr-xr-x).

When I mount with NFS instead (Connect To Server, nfs://servername/exportname, or nfs://servername alone to mount an exported root filesystem), ownership and permission data seem to come across okay.

Anybody know anything about this? Is there something I can do to my Samba configuration to make ownership and permission info visible from my Mac?

Back