SMB connect is DOG slow...

egilDOTnet

master of disaster
I have several NT/W2K/Samba servers on my LAN, and I can connect to them easily enough from my Mac.

However, SMB shares are DOG slow! I cannot even playback media files (mov/mpg/avi's) without stuttering sound and image skipping all the time, even though this works like a charm from Windows computers next to me, with slower net connections (10MB vs my 100MB)...!

Is the Apple implementation of SMB that bad, or is there something generally wrong with networking on my mac that I should start troubleshooting, 'cause this is driving me nuts!
-e

I'd say to look into other things. I mount shared from my PC with Win2k Pro from OS X via SMB with no problems at all. I just played a 30 meg video. Smooth as silk.

And you still use the standard SMB in OS X? Or do you use Dave or other software to help you around here? Just want to know, so I dont start in the wrong end here... :/

-e

egilDOTnet, although it can be made to perform OK with tweaking, SMB really isn't a very good protocol. Do you have any other options?

Sure, I am the admin so I am king of that hill :)

But I dont get why you say that SMB isnt a good protocol?! Its efficient enough for most operations, even though it throws bandwith away (litteraly speaking!)...

-e

Originally posted by egilDOTnet
And you still use the standard SMB in OS X? Or do you use Dave or other software to help you around here? Just want to know, so I dont start in the wrong end here... :/

-e

Yes, I'm using the built-in SMB. I see no reason to pay for DAVE when it's built in to the OS.

If this helps at all, the PC running Win2k is a P3-500 with 384 megs of RAM. The Mac is a G4 867 also with 384 megs. They run through an SMC Barricade router.

Strange, I use the dual 1Ghz with 1GB mem, hooked onto a 100MB switch, with one server hooked right into the same switch @ 100MB. Still, very poor performance at my part...

Any good tools for doing some network disk performance tests in OS X?

-e

Back