SMB - LAN Network...please help me!

owaters

Registered
Hi,

I am at university and appear to be the only one using a mac. I am having trouble accessing the student network to access my files on the University server.

I am trying to find a way to see all the computers and the server on the LAN I am connected to.

My mates with PC's simply goto 'My Network Places' and 'boom', a full list of computers on the student workgroup! And they can easily locate their folder on the server.
How can I do the equivalent on my mac?

What os are you using?
I have no probs with 10.2.8
Everything below 10.1 was somehow a tricky thing. There is a tool called Dave which can help, if you are not on at least jaguar.

can you ping those other comps? Do the other comps share any folders?
Did you try to enter this way:
Finder: apple+k
type: smb://computername

Find out what settings the other Wintel/Amd students are using in their Network configuration and we will help you apply those settings in your OS X setup! :D

While you may see them opening just the Network icon to get the results, they may have configured their system before that, not to mention that maybe the network supervisors in your university already did that for them/you... :p

Anyways, I've included in the attached image some network settings you may need to use before going to the Finder Go menu and selecting the Connect to Server... Keep in mind that those numbers are totally random in order to post those images here! :)

Attachments

• archive.sit
    77.6 KB · Views: 5
What ever happened to Connect to Server --> Browse, and them having the Mac search for other machines on the LAN??

All I'm able to browse now is the alias (on my local drive) to what I Used to connect to before upgrading to panther.[/B]

Back