SMB Printer Share Problem

SMB Printer Share Problem

I tried sharing my printer using SMB. I set it up in the smb.config file located in the /etc directory; here is a look at how I set it up:

[printers]
comment = All Printers
browseable = yes
printable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes
create mode = 0700

I can see the printer in my Network Neighberhood but I get an Access Denied error when trying to connect to the printer. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to properly set this up. Does anyone have this working?

You didn't mention what version you're running, 10.1 or 10.2? If you're running 10.2, you can share it using CUPS and the IPP protocol. If you're using 10.1, you have to use samba, and I haen't found anyone who got sharing a USB printer from samba in 10.1 working correctly. If it's 10.2, you probably need to update one of the cups config files with the device path of the printer, for USB things it likes to stick in file:/dev/null instead of the real path which is something along the lines of usb:/blahblahblah. Don't have access to my mac at work, but I'll get you the file names, and the command to get the usb:/blahblah path when I get home if you need it.

Brian

Sorry, I should have specefied the OS version. I'm using 10.2. And I want to print from my Windows XP machine to my Mac. My mac printer is an Epson C80. Connected via USB port. Any other information you may have will be appreciated greatly.

I found the cups file we need to edit, but I don't know what to edit the path to.

The file is /etc/cups/printers.conf

btoneill,
have you found out what command we need to use to get IPP printing to work?

I found a program
/usr/libexec/cups/backend/usb
which output this
direct usb "Unknown" "USB Printer (usb)"
direct usb://HEWLETT-PACKARD/DESKJET%201220C?serial=SG13O130CSOK "DESKJET 1220C" "DESKJET 1220C"

I tried setting my URI in the /etc/cups/printers.conf file tothe part up to the first space in that usb://... but it's still not working from my XP machine. It can't talk to the printer.

If you have this working, please help us out :)

SWEEEEETT!

I figured it out.

The command you want to type in terminal is
lpinfo -v
which will list all the sockets (I think) on your computer. It looks like what I was trying before was almost correct, but I just needed to add the port number in the URI in printers.conf.
The CUPS port number is 631 :)

Now, I have my XP machine trying to print to my OSX machine, but I get an error on the XP machine. It doesn't say what the error is though.

Do I need authentication to print?

Back