SMB (samba) twice as slow as AFP (appletalk)

egilDOTnet

master of disaster
I have been trying to set up an environment where a FreeBSD server is responsible for handling common files and do backups etc. This of course involves setting up network shares, and I confidently set up Samba since it was what I was most familiar with, and expected good results. The server and my laptops are wireless connected.

I was therefore not amused with what I soon found out - Samba speed was DOG SLOW. Unbelieveably so. I have problems playing back even small videos needing 200kB/sec. And trying to browse through larger directories (eg my iTunes library) in Finder is NOT a pleasant experience.

So, to check things out, I finally got my lazy self to set up netatalk for AFP handling on the FreeBSD box. Then I did some simple tests - namely transferring first a 10MB then a 100MB file with no other activity on the net from the FreeBSD server to my Powerbook, first with AFP then with SMB.

This is what I got:
10MB file:
AFP - 22 sec (averaging throughput to 3.6 Mbit/s)
SMB - 32 sec (aprox 2.5Mbit/s)
100MB file:
AFP - 3:09 mins (aprox 4.2Mbit/s)
SMB - 5:48 mins (aprox 2.3Mbit/s)

Holy mackerel! How is this possible? I thought the SMB implementation on Tiger was rather OK, but this is lackluster at best! And note also that AFP improves its datarate with the larger file, while SMB actually detorierates). I am also now using a plain vanilla smb config on the freebsd box, the same for afp.

Am I the only one experiencing this? Have some of you found out what is happening here or how to fix it?

Back