Smeagol GM build number

mongobot

Registered
Can anyone confirm the build number of OS X 10.2.7 (smeagol) that ships with the G5? I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet...

Thanks!

Thanks Arden. I don't see a build number for Smeagol in the thread however. I see a build number for Panther and BlackRider though. Hmmm...

Originally posted by mongobot
Thanks Arden. I don't see a build number for Smeagol in the thread however. I see a build number for Panther and BlackRider though. Hmmm...

Look again! Smeagol is Jaguar 10.2.7

the build nbr is there!

My understanding is that there are two distinct flavors of 10.2.7 - Black Rider for non-G5s and Smeagol for the G5 only. So if you try Smeagol on an older machine (such as a MDD) it will fail to install. I know the build numbering scheme is different as well. The only build number I could see listed in the link for 10.2.7 was 6R34 which points to a Black Rider build.

If someone had already received their G5, they could confirm the build number via the ASP.

From dealmac forum;

Got to play with a new G5/1.8GHz machine hooked up to a 23" Cinema Display with an iSub and HK Sound Sticks.

And before anybody asks... it was running Mac OS 10.2.7 build 6S74.

Thanks for the info Bob. 6Sxx was the numbering scheme I'd been referred to in regards to smeagol. In fact, I was at CompUSA a few hours ago and confirmed the same build number on a demo G5. I asked the tech there if the machine was a demo or not. He indicated that it was the production model. The strange thing was, when I asked if they had any in stock for sale, he said "no". Apparently the G5 they had was for demo purposes only.

Anyway, thanks again!

Back