Smoothwall router / firewall

contoursvt

Registered
Is there anything like smoothwall (linux based router/firewall) for OSX? I want to get rid of my buggy linksys and I've looked at the dlinks and they are not right for me. I tried monowall on a really old 486 PC and it works but its kinda slow. I have a B&W G3 with 512mb RAM and would like to convert that into my router/firewall....

Any suggestions?

Why not make that a Linux/ppc workstation? While the G3 Mac can perform this action, the specs on it are decent enough to be used as a workstation instead of sitting idly as a router/firewall. That's what boring PCs are for. :D

M0n0wall should run fine, but consider that it might have been slow because of the system, not so much because of the software. BTW, Smoothwall will run on that 486 as well according to the SmoothWall site.

And if you still decide to use that G3, having OS X running on it without it being used is just a waste of resources just for the interface IMO. Install Ubuntu/ppc or Debian/ppc and download the necessary files for performing router/firewall funtions from their respective repositories. You can even use fwbuilder to manage those functions in a GUI interface.

LOL well I'll be honest and say I'm a PC guy primarily. My main, backup and laptop PC's are all I really need for my daily tasks. The 486 DX2-66 computer with 80mb RAM is not good enough due to having only ISA slots and 10mbit cards. I get about 3.5meg down instead of roughly 6meg down.

My main box is a dual 3Ghz xeon so I'm not going to use the G3 over that...and my secondary box is a dual PIII Xeon 550Mhz box which is still fairly zippy and my laptop is a Centrino 1.6Ghz ... so this leaves my G3 and my 486 as the least powerful. If I use the G3 as the router, I can make the 486 a legacy dos gaming box :)

Yup, Linux/ppc is the way to go then. You can have it running on the CLI without the GUI slowing things down, especially if it's going to be used as a router.

Then again, using the G3 as a testbed for learning OS X is another idea, especially considering that used PCs (at the very least Pentium III PCs) can be had for a dime a dozen for use as routers/firewalls. Heck, I just saw some links on digg regarding some used PCs for under 100 bucks. That shouldn't break the bank.

$75 - http://ztechshop.net/computers/sub-100/

$40 - http://www.izzyscomputerdepot.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=173

The SFF Compaq in the first link would be an ideal solution since it's small. Just my 2 cents. :D

Back