Snow iMac 9.2.1 won't boot-need files!

boofsmom

Registered
Help! We have a White (Snow) iMac running both 9.2.1 and X-my problem is with the 9.2.1 side-I never use X on this machine.

I was doing an update on a web-based program today and when I went to reboot, it would not boot up again. I get a folder which flashes back and forth between a question mark and a happy face. (I know this is bad) It will not boot from a disk and I cannot get any keyboard shortcuts to work.

I desperately need files that are on this computer. Does anyone have any ideas how I could get it to boot one more time so I could save them to a flash drive? We live in a very rural area...the closest experienced Mac tech would be at least 3 hours away and my boss really doesn't want to pay to send it to a tech anyway (that's why they have me, she says. ha)

Thank you!

Booting from cd is done by pressing the C key while starting up the mac from the system disk (any one).

Otherwise you will have to try to connect the drive to another mac as 2nd drive and retreive the files by then.

Good luck, Kees

Hope I don't sound too stupid-but how do I connect to another iMac as 2nd drive to do that? And does it have to be another Snow? Or could it be any iMac?
Thanks again.

Any mac with a firewire will do. Before you begin, you need a firewire cable.

1, switch off your snow imac
2, press power button, immediately press T key on the keyboard until you see firewire logo on the screen.
3, plug the firewire cable into snow imac, plug the other end to any mac with a firewire.

that's it, your snow imac's drive'll be mounted on the desktop. Hope this helps.

Hope I don't sound too stupid-but how do I connect to another iMac as 2nd drive to do that? And does it have to be another Snow? Or could it be any iMac?
Thanks again.

Any mac will do, especially if you use it as the second drive. If you want to boot from the harddisk, than it best be a snow imac and than simply replace the drive.

Good Luck, Kees

Back