Snow Leapard Internet Connection Problems

littlebluebox

Registered
Hi, I've just upgraded to the new Snow Leapard 10.6.5 and I haven't been able to get internet since. I had to set up the TCP/IP manually because the self-assigned ip address wouldn't let me connect to my router. My mac says it's connected to my private network but there's no internet connection. What's the problem here?

Wow 10.6.5 huh? That's amazing since Apple hasn't released 10.6.3 yet.;) A self assigned IP means that the machine is not able to connect to the DHCP server or your router in this case. Remove the static ip settings first. Try to reset your cable modem first by unplugging for 30 seconds and plugging back in and immediately afterward do the same to your router and see if that helps. If not, bypass the router by plugging the machine directly into the modem and do the reset again to the modem and see if the computer will then connect.

A friend of mine updated it for me, actually (he's got good connections). I've reset my router a bunch of times, and trust me, I waited plenty of time before plugging it back in. My ethernet cable works fine and I can surf the net that way. Apparently, the person who updated my mac for me has a WPA2 router configuration, and mine is a WEP. Is this significant? Thanks!

Apparently, the person who updated my mac for me has a WPA2 router configuration, and mine is a WEP. Is this significant? Thanks!

Yeah, I don't know why you would need to use WEP unless you have some really old machines that can only use WEP. But since it is WEP and if you are unwilling to go with WPA or WPA2 try a $ in front of the password and see if that helps. Otherwise I'd strongly recommend going with WPA.

A friend of mine updated it for me, actually (he's got good connections). I've reset my router a bunch of times, and trust me, I waited plenty of time before plugging it back in. My ethernet cable works fine and I can surf the net that way. Apparently, the person who updated my mac for me has a WPA2 router configuration, and mine is a WEP. Is this significant? Thanks!

I do think this is significant. You would need to be connected to your network to get out on the internet. It should have asked you for a Password or Key. When your buddy set you up did he give you the new password?

Back