Snow Leopard + Mail + Gmail IMAP not working

Let me try to clarify best I can now that i've cooled of a little...

At this point I am completely unable to send email from either of my 2 gmail accounts via mail in 10.6 on my MacBook Pro. Both accounts are setup as IMAP. Both accounts constantly have spinning gear, and appear to be trying to download messages from gmail's servers, but never seem to actually do it before timing out. When they time out I don't get any error unless i click the lightning triangle to the right of the account name where the spinning gear was. Then it tells me IMAP.GMAIL.COM timed out on port 993...

This has never happened prior to 10.6 & Mail 4.0 and I have used these same 2 accounts for about 4 years in Mail, most of that time as IMAP.

I am getting also getting SMTP server rejection or time-out errors when trying to send mail from either account after several minutes of mail seemingly trying to send messages.

Mail's connection doctor tells me everything is A OK...of course.

So if there are ANY suggestions I'll take them. I've even gone so far as to try other DNS servers via my AEBS (db). Without any resolution...which is why I feel that, bottom line, mail is broken somehow.

Since I'm new here, I'd also like to give you guys a little background on myself and let you know that I actually hold the same certs Fryke does except for the Aperture cert. So I have a great understanding of how things work, but of course there are people who have more overall experience because a cert is just a piece of paper that tells potential employers that I'm trainable...sort of like a college education...which I also have ;)

I didn't want to touch your pride with my message, I just wanted to state that it can't "simply" be that 10.6 and Gmail IMAP currently don't mix, because it _does_ work for me, and my setup - for only _one_ Gmail account, though - is the same. I've put the certificates in my sig merely as a humorous thing. I think being here since 2000 and working with several systems in that time gives me more credit than those certificates. ;) ... But even with decades of experience and a sh*tload of certificates, all humans can still overlook a detail or other.

Maybe I've overlooked something on my account setup..? I've got Gmail getting mails over IMAP from imap.gmail.com using port 993 and SSL. SMTP uses smtp.gmail.com over "standard ports" (25, 467, 587) and SSL and "password". Maybe that's it and you shouldn't use port 993 for SMTP? As a login, I've always entered my _full_ Gmail address and my Gmail password.

I have the same problem described here. Connection Doctor registers logins to gmail as successful, but no mail in or out since I installed Snow Leopard. Currently running 10.6.2. When Mail is trying to upload/download it chew up a good 40% of the processor and over 300MB of memory too. Thinking of creating a new mailbox within Mail to test everything.

Back