Snow not connecting to hp printer well

crowncanada.ca

Registered
Hi all; Just upgraded Tiger to Snow Leopard 10.6.6 on an Intel Mac. After a few application blips one remains. Mac is connected via USB to HP printer. Always worked well.

Now in any app with Snow Leopard I often receive message "waiting for printer to become available" - Snow sees the printer but does not use it. I have verified the correct driver is bundled into Snow.

I have reinstalled Snow once and several times I have trashed the HP folder in the Library + reset printer list in Preferences to remove the printer and then run Software Update. This always retrieves and HP update for Snow and adds the printer back into Preferences list.

Often this will get the printer to work but then, power down, power up and same problem occurs. Four Senior Advisors have been unable to resolve this permanently. Now Apple wants me to erase the drive and reinstall SL. Don't want to go that far.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Can you print a test page using the Printer Utility? I have a HP printer connected to my SL and I can easily access the scanner and the printer, using the printer utility.

I can only print a test page directly from the control buttons on the HP. It's an older 2500L laserjet. Nothing will print from the Mac through Snow. The HP works fine with Tiger 10.4 and Leopard 10.5 but, Snow 10.6 is a problem. HP Service also confirms it should work.

But when you open the printer, and you go into the properties... Is there any Printer Utility button? Like the following:

Attachments

• HP-01.jpg
    HP-01.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 4
  • HP-02.jpg
    HP-02.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 5
  • HP-03.jpg
    HP-03.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thanks for the example. Yes, I get that kind of printer utility window. I cannot remember what all features are available - I don't believe it even checks for ink levels. I'll check when I'm in the office tomorrow, thanks.

But when you open the printer, and you go into the properties... Is there any Printer Utility button? Like the following:

I checked my HP 2500. I have the first two screen shots provided in then pics but there is no UTILITY button and therefore no screen like the 3rd provided.

Make sure HP gives you the right driver for your printer. It should have the forth folder on the printer properties with the Printer Utility. Or you are not using the correct driver, or HP has given you the incorrect one.

Four Senior Advisors have been unable to resolve this permanently. Now Apple wants me to erase the drive and reinstall SL. Don't want to go that far.

I guess nobody tried google? This looks like a common issue with this printer and the newest driver that comes bundled with Snow Leopard. Here is a workaround.

I guess nobody tried google? This looks like a common issue with this printer and the newest driver that comes bundled with Snow Leopard. Here is a workaround.

I keep trying the link provided, keeps saying the discussion board is temporarily unavailable. I'll keep trying.

In the meantime, I've changed my configuration and connected the printer through our office MacPro Server running Leopard Server (not Snow). Now all machines can use it even the Snow unit.

One idea is even though the current driver in Snow may be correct, firmware in the printer may be incompatible with Snow. How to update that? Hmm. Will still check the discussion board as I'm curious.

Here is the solution on that thread:

1) delete all of the items whose name starts with "hp_" in System/Library/Extensions
2) Disconnect the printer and turn off the printer
3) delete the printer if it's still there
4) reset the printing system
5) restart the Mac
6) empty the trash
7) turn on the printer and reconnect the printer to the MAC
8) reinstall the printer

You may need your admin permission to complete this task.

Some pointed out they needed an additional step:
9. Applied 2.5.2 update. This update took 15 minutes to apply - is that normal?
10. Restarted Mac

Hope this helps you...

Cheers,

Thanks for your input LMeinhardt. I've tried this solution numerous times and it works - until I power down and then power up. For now it's working by sharing it through our Leopard server.

Here is the solution on that thread:

1) delete all of the items whose name starts with "hp_" in System/Library/Extensions
2) Disconnect the printer and turn off the printer
3) delete the printer if it's still there
4) reset the printing system
5) restart the Mac
6) empty the trash
7) turn on the printer and reconnect the printer to the MAC
8) reinstall the printer

You may need your admin permission to complete this task.

Some pointed out they needed an additional step:
9. Applied 2.5.2 update. This update took 15 minutes to apply - is that normal?
10. Restarted Mac

Hope this helps you...

Cheers,

I suppose all that's left is to possibly restore the machine to back when it was running 10.5 through a previous backup. This can be done by wiping the HD and doing a "restore from backup" when booted to the installer. Otherwise to install a system first and then try to Time Machine over your data, it probably won't let you, unless it hasn't done a backup since 10.6 has been installed. Then after restoring it back to when it was running 10.5, do an install of 10.6 but without installing any of the printer drivers. Theoretically, that should work? But might be a lot more trouble than its worth. Otherwise, just have to wait for HP to release a patch or new driver..

Back