So how does this all affect the iMac?

hazmat

Rusher of Din
I'm ready to buy a new iMac, though my PowerBook G4 1.33 is still doing fine. I want a real desktop, and a newer faster machine. I am still waiting for any sort of solid rumor or announcement of the supposedly redesigned iMac. Nothing yet, and now with the delay in OS X 10.5, I wonder how this will affect a new iMac. If I were waiting for simply a speed bump in a current line, that would be one thing, but a completely redesigned model is another.

Any predictions?

You need to understand something very important about the cases of Apple computers:

Form follows function.

Since 1999, there has been just two tower form factors. The form factor introduced with the B&W Power Mac G3 lasted for the life of the PM G4. It was replaced by the G5's form factor which survives to this day with the Intel-based Mac Pro.

The iMac was introduced in 1999. Since then, it has undergone just two form-factor changes. Each change was dictated by major changes under the plastic. The lamp shade form factor was dictated by the switch to an LCD display. The G5 brought the current monolithic form-factor into being.

If Apple surprises us with a new technology, then we can expect a new tower form-factor. Otherwise, the current case will continue. It was a revolution in design four years ago. It is still ahead of everything else on the market. There is no need to change it.

very good point. however, although last year the general form factor didn't change all that much, Front Row, and an iSight camera were added.... i'd go by MacRumors buyers guide, which says that the iMac is about to be updated. wait 4 months.

Or buy a Mac mini with the plan to sell it again in four months. You can use any old VGA/DVI display, USB keyboard and USB mouse with it. This will get you the more modern processing power for the time being. Then sell the mini and buy a Mac Pro or iMac when the machine, the OS and time is ready. :)

Or buy a Mac mini with the plan to sell it again in four months. You can use any old VGA/DVI display, USB keyboard and USB mouse with it. This will get you the more modern processing power for the time being. Then sell the mini and buy a Mac Pro or iMac when the machine, the OS and time is ready. :)

Thanks, but in that case I would just stick with the PB. I hate having to sell stuff off.

Back