So how many of you have switched?

Are you a "switcher?"

• Yep, switched from PC (or other) to Mac.

• I'm thinking about switching but haven't yet.

• I use both daily.

• Switched from Mac to PC. (Please tell why!)

• I'm Herve. French toast, please!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ricky

Registered
How many of you here, browsing these forums, have switched from PC to Mac? :)

Note: I know threads have started about this before, but now that the campaign has been running for a while, it would be good to get some updated numbers. ;)

EDIT: Fixed a spelling error. :p

yep pc user for 10 years and 4 months ago i did the switch and im glad i did.. nothing but great things from my mac.. should have switched long ago

I officially switched May 16th 2002, when I got my QS 933.

Even though I've always used macs, but only at school and work, my home system was a peecee.

Now I just got to get my bro to switch. :->

I switched Sept 2001, after 10 PCs, 2 Commodores, an Amiga and around 30 operating systems... and I'm glad I did! Mac OS X is the best platform I've ever used.

I "switched" before the campaign, but have had an iBook, so my Desktop PeeCee has still be around. But i should get my G4 Cube this week or next, which shall make my PeeCee redundant! :D

I'm a tenth anniversary switcher. Started using macs in Jan 1992. At first I struggled with speed, now I hate it when forced to use win____ at school, but there's two chances that will change, slim and none.

iLove my iBook and iWant an iMac! ;^)

I went from Win to Linux and co-used Mac and Linux.

And now that I'm happy with what Mac does iI don't feel I need Linux.

So that make me double switch? Win > Linux and Linux > Mac OS X (I hate classic) :)

I have always wanted to get a Mac since I used one when working at the University of Minnesota....the first 733 QS with the superdrive, to do a project for one of the departments. I actually saw it when it was released and talked my department head into buying it for my use, convincing her it was the only choice for the multimedia stuff she was asking me to do...and it was really!

I had been trying to figure out how to get one for the longest time for myself after I left the University. Then my wife and I decided to start a Photography and Design studio....done, Mac was the only choice.

I switched in April of 2002 (before the campaign) and have been enjoying life since.

I've used Macintoshes off and on since 1992. I last switched from Macintoshes to PC in about 1996. My sister desperately needed a faster Macintosh so I gave her my 9500/150 and just used my PC. I ran Windows 98, which I hated, Windows 2000, which I tolerated and finally linux, which I liked. I needed more stability and performance than I could get with MacOS 9. I'm an engineer, not a designer, so a lot of my time is spent in a terminal window or running X applications. MacOS 9 was lousy for both of these, there were solutions, but they weren't good. I could routinely outtype the terminal under heavy loads and lose characters.

Prior to Christmas I purchased a dual 1 GHz PowerMac and use it exclusively in MacOS X. It's a wonderful machine. I have my PC next to it running linux, just in case I need it. I haven't turned it on since then however.

I still have a linux box running full time, I have a MUD, it's web server and a few other things hanging off of it.

i've used macs since i was 3 years old, with no color. I used a PC for a few months, then i suddenly noticed what i was doing, and i came back to mac. Then i joined macosx.com!!! Wow i've been in this forum for a while... like a year and a bit more....
I used to have another username, but this dude came to my house and got pissed at me and uploaded this file... i won't get into it.
But i used pcs for a bit. There's something about them that make me drowsy... dunno

the first computer i ever used was an Apple IIe then a performa 6200CD then a G3 B&W tower then my iMac and finally my iBook the first PC i ever used was a packard bell iMac wanabe and i was like "...ewww..." anyways

(what if you never switched???)

Then what if you use more than one sys like OS X and FreeBSD (or some Windows or whatever) daily? You switch daily, or you don't switch, or you are Herve? :D

Darn all of you people questioning the poll. :D I'll make a new option for that, I suppose.

-EDIT- Done. Now don't you dare ask me about the people that don't like French toast. :p

I switched from Mac to PC. I was tired of the bloated OS lowering my speeds.
Windows is a driver hell with constant worry about viruses, but has more commercial software and hardware in the stores, is less pricy and does run faster.

It came down to a choice, and I made one, let me have an option for that too, please...

I've started on Apple II with Pascal USCD, then Apple Basic, the Fortran on CDC9000 (no real OS on these machines, just basic IO), then I upgraded to PDP-11 and VaxVMS... this was the most reliable OS I've even seen. It was possible to have an infinity of copies of a document in progress. In parallel I started MacOS on a Mac 512k, than on a MacPlus (I don't remember the OS number)... and in parallel too, i discovered Rainbow DOS... and then the first Windows 3... since then I followed the PC and Mac evolution, using both on a daily basis, plus occasionally Solaris (Sun flavor of UNIX).

And my name is NOT Hervé.

I switched from a PC to a mac about 6 months ago.

It's not that I particularly liked Windows, it's just that I couldn't afford a mac until then. :)

Originally posted by chevy
The iMac Classic is not that expensive... and it does the job.
Does the job of digital video editing? Graphics manipulation? Calculating pi? I don't think so...

Besides, I already have my mac, so it's all good.

Back