So the Dual G5s are shipping...

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
News of a couple of users who ordered their machines THE DAY of the keynote got their Dual G5s today - 7 weeks after they pre-ordered.

I ordered on August 18th. Does that put my delivery date at October 6th? (7 weeks from order date)

At the time of my order I was quoted October 30th, but I'm hoping for something better than that.

Apple is currently quoting 3 - 5 weeks for orders placed today, which puts them at October 21st. I'm getting more and more optomistic...

I have just been told by my UK dealer that my Dual G5 is expected on October 1st. But i'm not going to hold my breath!!

I ordered about three weeks ago and I was told 10/9. In the three weeks that date hasn't changed. I wish it was more clear if they were updating it or not.

your quoted date will NOT update. It is quoted at the time of order based on lead time. Once its quoted, it will not change unless its to be delayed.

I'm glad to hear you were quoted 10/9... that means I should definitely be getting mine before then.

The way this is communicated it does not give a lot of reassurance. I certainly hope you get yours soon. My order date was 9/4 so the estimated lead time was just over a month. On the phone they indicated there was a possibility for a sooner ship date, but I have not heard a ton of news of people receiving them. There were supposedly 100,000 backorders, so if they were shipping enmasse, I would think there would be a steady stream of responses. Who knows.

Well good luck.

Email from Apple just arrived indicating that my dual G5 shipped today (9/18) with 1GB o' RAM. It was ordered on July 2.

The long hot summer (wait) may be near the end.

It looks like they are not rapidly going through their backorder list. If you ordered on July 2 and just got a ship date, I don't see how they will hit my ship date of 10/9 when I ordered 9/4. I wouldn't be surprised if the dates slip.

Still haven't heard of a flood of machines coming out. If that were the case, I would be more optimistic.

Still, I am in line. Yahoo

David

they're just now shipping orders from july because those were PRE orders. There were 100,000 pre orders made before production actually began.

I'm still thinking I'll get mine in the first week of October.

ugh, i want to order, i'm not sure if i should order online or if i should go to the store, which way will i get it fastest ;)

six to one half a dozen to another.

when you order over the phone, the apple rep enters your order into an online system. you're gonna end up in the relative same spot in the queue no matter what.

I still wonder how many of the 100,000 have shipped. It sure doesn't sound (from the news on the net) that they are pouring out. I hope you are right about the 1st week in October.

The number of people reporting getting duals still seems to be one or two a day (a bit of an exaggeration - but not huge numbers).

If you have a source for the rate of shipments please let me know and I will go look.

Take care and enjoy the weekend.

David

Well, at least 1100 of them have to have shipped, or Virginia Tech might miss its spot at the supercomputer awards.

one interesting note...
in the ADC newsletter, apple hasn't put any dual G5s in their test lab.... which means 2 things
1) they're satisfying customer orders first
2) there is no abundance of G5s in Cupertino :)

The only reason it appears that way is the apparent silence from the "huge" number of pre-orders. I would expect (expectation only) that if the duals were flying out of the factory there would be a ton of stories showing up on the web about everyones new machines. The relative silence gives me pause. I am preparing mentally for having my order delayed. We shall see.

Hi Everyone

Please don't get frustrated or angry, but I received an email last night from Apple that my G5 shipped (Dual). I received free ground shipping and they sent it 2nd day air. Keep in mind this is an educational order.

My estimated ship date had been 10/9. If you are still waiting I wish you the best and good luck.

Take care. I will post more when it comes.

David

Mine more probably at the end of October :(

I hope you will enjoy your Dual G5 :D Oh, and welcome here too! :)

I believe it also made a big difference whether you ordered a "stock" or "customized" config. The Apple Store (not the brick-and-morter) person I spoke to in early Sept. said that custom orders were taking much longer (possibly weeks) to fill.

Rip

Back