So, what's the verdict on macosx.com's web/mail

macfeller

Registered
Ten bucks sounds great. Is it? Space is space. Speed and reliability are other things. I am so tempted to give 'em $10 just for trying.

mf

I've been using an @macosx.com account as my main personal email address since the beginning (nearly 2 years ago now) and it really is very good quality. No spam problems, the webmail is smart and reliable, and I've only noticed one outage in that time which was resolved when I checked back half an hour later.

I've just renewed and I would highly recommend them. Having a low cost, constant, and easy to remember email address has been a lifesaver with my numerous moves, ISP switches and so on.

I haven't really tried to use any of the webspace yet, though, so I can't comment on that.

web space is cool but there are a few quirks. like case sensitivity (the whole sit was thrown off because i named a page "Index.html" instead of "index.html" [small i]) and i don't care for the picture uploading options for the gallery (too slow/bulky/non-functional for me) but other than that it's great!

i would love to see some webdav for posting iCal calenders but hey... it's 100 megs of web space with enabled PHP (no mySQL though) so what can i complain about.

thanks scott ^^

Please note: In the Unix world, case-sensitivity is a big deal. Index.html and index.html are two seperate files. However, Apple seems to ignore this with OS X.

Gallery: Have you used the iPhoto plugin? If you don't use gallery, do you use the Gallery Applet to upload photos? These are both powerful applications that make the "form upload" feature seem so 1995.

We provide a download link to posting iCal calendars via FTP on the downloads pages under Email/Web Services.

I've just signed up for my own macosx.com email address and webspace. I think $10 is a really good deal for what they're offereing. 100MB email and 100 MB webspace is definitely enough for me and is well worth the money IMHO.

I've had really good experiences of macosx.com services since i signed up. My account has been freely upgraded twice in a year, from 25mb email, to 250mb email, and now to the new email/hosting gallery plan. In fact i immediately renewed my account when the new options became available the other day.
Support from Scott et al has been excellent, and always got back to me with an answer/solution within 24 hours.

The new system seems great and for me is exactly the .mac alternative i was after (for me .mac is too pricy for what i would get).

I tried he iphoto plugin for gallery as well, and its great, really makes everything pretty foolproof. Available from http://zwily.com/iphoto/

Cheers scott, keep up the good work. One thing though, your new avatar is nice, but i think i miss the half-smiling half-demonic face from before, it put the fear-of-admin into trolls and FUDers! :)

@Zammy-Sam

Good point. The way I understood it, it said 100 MB for email and a separate 100 MB for web space. Looking at the packages, there is one for 1GB email and 500 MB webspace, so I'm thinking that they are separate.

Original poster here. THANKS to you all! Does sound great. As soon as I get a moment I'll grab my credit card. Actually, the satisfaction speaks clearly enough I will go back and consider a higher level of account.

Thank you again,

mf

Back