So... when do the 3ghz G5s arrive?

soulseek said:
are guys telling me that my 2 month old dual layer dvd recorded will be old technology in a few months?

Doubtful. Dual layer disks are still pretty expensive. I don't even want to know how much a HD DVD or Blue Ray disk will be :eek:

Don't be surprised to see a price drop on the G5's at the end of January/beginning of Feb.. This is consistent with Apple when there is no update to a mainstream power user product line. Bet on it.

The 3 Ghz G5's will arrive when you stop anticipating them. :)

But seriously, there is little practical advantage to waiting for a 3 Ghz machine over getting a 2.5 Ghz machine now. You will have a computer that is nearly as fast a lot sooner.

Pengu said:
Im curious as to why you think 3.0ghz is necessary?? surely if you buy a Dual 2.5 G5 now, the increased productivity will far outweigh the increased speed when a Dual 3 is finally released??

Thank you all for your thoughtful and knowledgeable response to my question about when we can expect the 3ghz G5 desktops. Let me try to explain my desire to wait:

- First, because I see it as potentially a major new hardware benchmark for Apple. Not just because of the speed, but because I think Apple will take advantage of the "numerical specialness" of reaching (maybe even exceeding) the so-far-unreachable goal of 3ghz. How will they take advantage of it? Probably by giving this new machine a fairly healthy dose of new technology: seriously upgraded video hardware; perhaps some new, faster type of RAM; faster bussing; etc.

I'm no hardware expert, so please hold your flames if I haven't stated something right, or missed an obvious point.

But having been a Mac user since 1984 (my first: a "Fat Mac" with 512k RAM and a single-sided floppy; hard drives were an extraordinarily expensive luxury back then), and having had a lot of experience watching how and when Apple releases product, I believe that the release of the 3ghz G5s is going to be significantly more important than just another incremental speed boost.

- A hoped-for reduction in the "kicking yourself 'cause you could have waited just a few months longer and gotten a machine that will be functional longer" phenomenon.

This ties to the first point I made: I'm by no means wealthy. It takes me a number of years to save enough money to replace my Macs (usually, four to five years). So, the last thing I want to have happen is to get impatient, buy a dual 2.5ghz G5, then groan and whine in a three months when the massively upgraded 3ghz machines hit.

- A slightly increased period of time before my machine is no longer the most seriously bad-A$$ Mac on the planet. :)

Yes, I'll admit it: I like to own (if only for a matter of weeks or months) the fastest Mac in existence. Hey, I'm a pathetic loser, desperate for the approval of others, okay??!

I have a strong feeling that once Apple hits 3ghz, it will be a slightly-longer-than-usual period of time before they release the next speed boost. This is just a hunch, based again on literally a couple of decades of watching how Apple typically does things.

So, that's about it. I appreciate the point that some of you have raised that, by waiting, I am giving up the increased productivity that I could be experiencing on a dual 2.5ghz Mac. No doubt about that. I guess I'm just trying to reconcile these two old sayings:

"Good things come to those who wait."

AND...

"He who hesitates is lost."

Your continued comments on this matter are useful to me, and again I extend my sincere thanks to all of you who have responded.

Marty

You shouldn't worry so much about what machine you have and what others have. Rather, if your computer meets yours needs (and that's one thing you did not say), then one should be happy.
A 2.5GHz machine with enough ram will trump a 3.0Ghz machine with too little ram.

I know what you mean.. the possibility of SATA-II, DDR-II or DDR-III, PCI-Extreme, 4 HDD bays, onboard hardware RAID, 10Gb Ethernet...

If i KNEW they would all (or mostly) be in the next big Rev, i would have waited. but i didnt. never will know for sure. so i simply bought what i thought i could justify. $7200 (AU) is a freakin' lot for a computer. but im happy, and i know it will last me many years to come. My G4 lasted me four years, and was only really slow when doing video stuff, or if attempting 3d games....

Randman said:
You shouldn't worry so much about what machine you have and what others have. Rather, if your computer meets yours needs (and that's one thing you did not say), then one should be happy.
A 2.5GHz machine with enough ram will trump a 3.0Ghz machine with too little ram.

Randman,

Please don't attach to much importance to my comment about wanting to have the fastest computer around. Truly, that's probably less than 5% of why I'm choosing to wait for the 3ghz G5s.

My current Mac mostly meets my needs. However, my fields of digital music creation and digital film editing are voracious beasts, and my DP G4/500 is starting to show its age in rendering time, etc. Also, my DVD-RAM drive (gee, THERE'S a technology that went basically nowhere!) is starting to have physical problems.

Also, one other thing: I have a tradition of giving my hand-me-down computer to my mom. Right now, she's working with a 1996 Power Computing Mac clone with a PPC604 and 256mb of RAM running OS8.6.

Just for reasons of wanting to get her into OS X (so I can give her tech help where needed- I've forgotten most of my OS9 tricks), I'd like to get a new machine so she can have this one.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's thoughts. How about this- tell me if you think we'll see 3ghz G5 desktops in:

A) March 2005
B) June 2005
C) September 2005
D) Sometime in 2006

The most current issue of MacWorld has some of their editors prognosticating on this very matter, and they were basically split between A, B, and C.

Vote early, vote often!

:)

Marty

Athlon64 is still at 2.4 GHz... for the Athlon64 3700+ ! Is it faster than a 2.5 GHz G5 ? Is it faster than 2 x 2.5 GHz G5 ?

If the 3 Ghz machines are released anytime this year, I prognosticate (is that the right word?) that it will be at the WWDC conference in June. That's when the original G5 was introduced. They probably won't ship until October, though, if they are released.

Back