So When Is Enough Enought Frames Per Second Anyway!!!!

Originally posted by profx
SoulCollector, do you have a stutter??

you seem to have a lot of "..."s!!!
Shut up. That's uncalled for.

Mdnky: Go beige G3 towers!

Some facts about the Radeon 9800 Pro Mac editions (based on statements made by ATI employees).

1. ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is a 4x AGP card. It will run at 4x in the G5s. It is available as a retail card only.

2. Apple Radeon 9800 Pro (probably produced by ATI) is an 8x AGP Pro card. It is keyed so that it will only fit in an 8x AGP Pro slot, namely the G5s. It cannot fit in any G4. It is available as an OEM card only.

3. I own an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. It sits in my dual 1.2 GHz(Powerlogix) Quicksilver G4. Works just fine.

LOL ..no I dont have a stutter..just like to type freely...just like if I was talking to somebody. I dont worry about grammatical errors or I mean if Im ending a run on sentence or something....I use this"...." for pausing but hey there ya go. For the whole thing about the G5 and the card. Well I own a Graphics and Printing Company, I have to check, design, and prep soo many files an d my rig now its OK...but would love to have the boost increase and the boost in gaming, I love to game online!!!! I wouldnt mine just jumping on my PC's here at the office but I would Love to just have everything I do..on MY APPLE..ya know...I think the Windows...interface is just soo messy when I think about it...

Well have to see what will happen....

G5 + losta losta, mucho mucho RAM + Radeon 9800 Pro 8x AGP = killer gaming machine.

Originally posted by profx
SoulCollector, do you have a stutter??

you seem to have a lot of "..."s!!!

Hey...watch it. <G> I love ...'s, they make it so easy to typo...er type.

Originally posted by arden
Mdnky: Go beige G3 towers!

It's a desktop...wish it was a tower sometimes though.

But hey, she runs X fine and PS7, ID2, Office X...albeit a tad slow, but does the job and never complains. Always said I wouldn't upgrade untill the G5 came out...now I got a G5 on order. :D Grinning/Smiling ear-to-ear too!

Originally posted by SoulCollector
Well I own a Graphics and Printing Company, I have to check, design, and prep soo many files an d my rig now its OK...but would love to have the boost increase and the boost in gaming, I love to game online!!!! I wouldnt mine just jumping on my PC's here at the office but I would Love to just have everything I do..on MY APPLE..ya know...I think the Windows...interface is just soo messy when I think about it...

If it's going to be a business thing, then you def. better off going with new. That $560 should shrink by another $200 with the tax deduction you can take on the machine. So, now that's only a $360 difference, which is less than the card. ((I am in no way a tax guy, so don't quote me on the estimate. Sounds like a reasonable number given my circumstances of what I'd expect to get, yours might be less or more.))

HMM awww man..So the retail version of the Radeon9800Pro is only 4x, so their saying if I buy a G5, Stock and decide later for a Radeon9800 i can only run it as 4x...thats horrible. I thought they were doing it at 8xAGP retail and it was backward compatible with the 4xAGP....aww man now what should I do...........I wanted to just get the card.i cant wait for some ...video card goodness..but man....now Ill just have to wait if the retail card..is only gunna be 4xAGP..

I was under the impression that 4x cards are compatible with 8x slots, and vice versa, but it would just operate at 4x. This is still pretty fast, though, and while it doesn't beat the pants off 8x, it should suit you well.

The PC version is available as 8x. I'm assuming they will eventually announce an aftermarket 8x version sometime after the G5s ship (last week), so maybe a month or two. Why sell a 8x card for Macs until there are Macs capable of using it.

Everything I've seen says the 8x card will run in a 4x slot. I haven't seen anything saying a 4x will on an 8x slot. Anyone else know?

The Apple (read: OEM) Radeon 9800 Pro is an AGP 8x PRO card, which uses a longer connector than the non Pro AGP cards. The AGP Pro slots will accept non Pro AGP cards but non AGP slots will not accept AGP Pro cards.
The Apple 9600 Pro is an AGP 8x card (non pro) but from my understanding it's designed to only run at 8x (probably per Apple's specifications) so it won't work correctly in G4s if pulled out of a G5. Plus I think the ADC power slot is in a different position than the older ADC compatible cards.

WELPS> i did it guys I got myself a Radeon 9800pro on my Dual 1ghz...1.2 gigs...What Should I do to know the differences??????would rendering be better????

ILL post what i can..thanks guys

AND DAMN I Saw the G5 too at downtown LA>...at macmall.store..
it was a 1.6 ..that sucker is HUGGEEEE didnt have time to bench it.......but they told me they wont even seeee duals.....probably until DECEMBER!!! I was like NOWWWAYYY..so will see whats up..witht that...

Well........on my Comp with the Radeon9800 what type of FPS should I be getting on high?? I heard this card. works good on high res????
Also what would be the best Video setup for UT2003????

I really don't know... try the real-world tests for yourself; if you're getting 30 fps or lower at high or even medium resolution and detail, something's wrong.

HMM i did lots of testing...Seems on UT2003..its a bit CPU intensive....I would get below that or even less on high everything.........SO I was like wha????
it was on the Demo....I was thinking..the Card is just outpacing my DUal 1ghzG4....is this G4 too slow??? then I did High on Spearhead Demo...that sucker was freakkkingggg nice..i didnt know the FPS check on SP but man that sucker was smoooth........and vibrant.....i did other games like Warcraft 3..on HIGH..it was nice....smooth..but the UT2003 was the one buggin.me even Americas Army was the same..so it brought me to the conclusion that the UT engine is very Data CPU extensive..and the bottleneck on the G4..is not putting it to the card fast enough....I think.but Let me know..your thoughts or if Im doing anything wrong....

Thanks

UT2K3 is a new game, and new, graphics-intensive games like this usually tax current systems quite a bit. The best option, though usually the most expensive and least possible, is to upgrade, either your processor, RAM and video card (which you just got), or a new computer. However, barring that, you can try tweaking your system to use less CPU cycles and RAM, and tweaking your game to be less demanding.

Test your system with Quake 3, as this is the de-facto for comparing fps's (frames per second) on FPS's (first-person shooters). You should get excellent results, as you did with most of the other games you tried.

back to the original question, I guess the advantage to having more fps (beyond the human rate of recognition) is that inevitably some game somewhere will slow it down with extra monsters, or features etc. So a higher baseline is desired to ensure it never dips down below the human recognition rate when taxed with complex scenes.

Back