so, when new ipods?

markmac

Registered
So, anyone hear yet about any new ipods? And when?

Still holding out for the new ones. Or are these new ipods like the fantasies and fairy tales of unicorns or apple PDA's?

Macrumors have been constantly telling the new ipods being out the "NEXT TUESDAY" - since at least december. :)

So if you want an iPod, get one and don't wait. I was drooling for one since july, and was to get one for christmas ... and finally got one in January after the MWSF. The Murphy's law isn't always applicable to Apple products (that would be e.g. "as soon as you have bought the hardware, a newer model with higher specs and lower price will be released immediately") ;)

If you get one at compusa I think that there is a 90 day return policy... So if they come out withing 90 days you can return it and get the new one :)

With the developer conference moving to june or whatever, i can't help but wonder if that is when the iPod update will come. :(

Oh. I haven't checked that out, but my friend said he checked it out and it was 90... He made the policy seem a lot better... didn't say anything about a 15% open box fee either. Your website looks like a lot better source then my friend :).

If you can wait that long, wait until after MWB (Mac World Expo in Boston) because Apple usually reveals their revamped product lines at that time.

well when is this? I can't find it anywhere listed on apple's site. If its after summer, the iPods will be out before then.

More than likely, Apple will release them with the "song for a buck" program, which is lame to me. I could care less about the "$1 song" bit, but I would love to see a 40G iPod. Why does Apple think they have to have a big ol' parade when they come out with something new!?! The 40G iPod is not the Holy Grail! Release it and move on to the next project!

Why does Apple think they have to have a big ol' parade when they come out with something new!?!

Marketing. One, it makes those in the know that much more frenzied, ie, Mac users know what a 40-gig iPod can do, so let it build some momentum, let it simmer and bang! Someone's going to drop a few hundred on one.
Two. Newbies. You say 2,000 songs aren't enough? How about 8,000? Newbie: Wow! Let me buy one.
Three. The press. Apple gets more pub from articles in Time and USA Today and the New York Times and London Guardian, etc, than running "I switched ads" and a big showy release does the trick.
Three. Ego. Steve Jobs is expected to pull the rabbit out of the hat everytime, and I've always had the impression he more than enjoys doing than, or at least the illusion of it.
I agree with you, but Apple's gotta make more than a buck a song and making everything it releases sound like the Holy Grail dipped in ambrosia does build excitement, which hopefully translates to sales.
Besides, it gives us something to talk about in the interim... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Randman
Three. Ego. Steve Jobs is expected to pull the rabbit out of the hat everytime, and I've always had the impression he more than enjoys doing than, or at least the illusion of it.

Randman hit the right word! EGO! Marketing is BS. Bas in B. S as in S. Marketing is ego. And Steve has enough ego to supply the world over 10 fold.

Get rid of the ego! Stop dangling the carrot in our face. When they come out with updates, I am not impressed. Now, if Steve presented a dual 3G PPC, I would be, and then I would say "It's about time you caught up."

i wish apple would update their homepage .. it happens to be my homepage on IE, and so when i launch, i always glance @ the homepage, before running off to launch Site(s) incompatible with Safari ...

ANYHOW, this always catches my eye, and needs a second look :(

ipodupdate126_03192003.gif

Apple and Stevie just love the fact that they are making people stark raving mad for a new iPod or whatever. This is what drives their sales. Yes, there will be some that say screw it and buy now. They love that too! They want the stupid music program and the iPod or iFrickin'coolvideomusicypodishthingy to come out at the same time. To me, that's stupid. Very stupid. Just give me the ipod or ithingywhosywhatsitthatwillbethenextgenerationipoddything.

I would love an iPod. I wish I had the money (web design pays jack!). I would love a 40G. I would love a iPodish thing that played DVDs. Just don't attach a "program" or "service" to it.

Originally posted by fryke
MacBidouille says that the 10G version has been end-of-life'd.

So then Apple would only sell 5, 20 and 40G? Or would they elminate the 5G too?

I don't think they can do that! People want a lower end iPod. I work with someone that would love a 1G iPod so it could be cheap.

Back