Software to Hide From Your Network

doofy10

Registered
I am looking to make my Mac invisible on the network that I am connected to. Preferably software that can hide the sites I am viewing and hide my IP address. I found software called Anonymizer, which seems very effective, but they charge on a monthly basis. Also, does anyone know of any software that would allow me to stop pop ups and ads on the internet? Thanks in advance.
-Doofy

Humm I wonder if you really what what you are asking for...

I am looking to make my Mac invisible on the network that I am connected to. Preferably software that can hide the sites I am viewing

Hide from whom how? Are you just embarrassed when your SO finds the browser history full of "research sites"? Are you worried about a third party watching you traffic? Are you trying to get arround teh company's web proxy? ;) The reason I ask is that each of those would need to be addressed in a different way.

and hide my IP address.

If you "hide" your IP you cannot send or recieve anything, althought your could monitor other traffic. Now you may want an anonomizer like you mention here...

I found software called Anonymizer, which seems very effective, but they charge on a monthly basis.

This is basically just a proxy where you are sending your request to there computer and then they forward it on so that it looks like it is from them. That only really provides anonyity on the far end of the connection, if I am sniffing traffic on your subnet I'll still know what you are up to. (I assume that they are using ssl so that is not really that easy.) Also if you do go this route remember that you need to trust the middle guy to protect you.

There is an interesting idea called Crowds which is kind of a randomized P2P proxy. In that case when you make a connection it comes out of someone elses computer. If you get enough people together this provides a degree of anonymity but it may not be the best thing to run in a work environment. Other people's connections will be made from your computer... Honest boss it wasn't me looking a nekkidpuppies.com some one was using the anonimizer on my computer for that ;)

As for no popups that was in another thread here just two days ago...

Have fun,
-Eric

P.S. Just a bit of commentairy here. I can help you do almost anything in this space that you would like, but I won't. I will help you protect your privacy and the security of your info, but I won't go into how to violate some else's. But I am sure that your intent is pure ;)

P.P.S. Has anyone seen my tinfoil hat?

there are many free web proxies around, that don't charge at all. If you don't have to use a proxy to get outside your network that may be a viable option.

What exactly are you trying to hide? There is no way that you can hide network traffic. You can only redirect it to make it look like it is going to/ comming from a different location.

Originally posted by doofy10
Also, does anyone know of any software that would allow me to stop pop ups and ads on the internet?
Get Mozilla (or Chimera) it has the feature built in. However if you insist on using IE or some other browser you should be able to find something that does that at www.versiontracker.com

I have nothing to hide, I would just prefer it if the administrator could not view the history coming from my port on the network (like sites like this). I tried looking for more anonymizer software but was to no avail. As for the popups, I am using Chimera but it doesn't block 100% of popups or any ads for that matter. I'm just looking for something more reliable. Thank you for your help though. I really appreciate it.
-Doofy

If web trafic is what you are trying to hide a web proxy is what you need.

Once you've found, or setup, a web proxy on another machine outside of your network open up Sys Prefs.

In the network pref pane click on proxies. Put a checkmark in web, type in the address and port of the proxy. Restart your browser and have fun knowing that the only web traffic that the admin sees is to and from the proxy.

Back