Software to take off songs on iPod

Snaffle

Registered
My girlfriend gave me her cousins iPod. Supposedly in iTunes 7 you can have multiple libraries. 1st of all how do you? 2nd of all does anyone know of a software that will take the songs off the iPod so i can burn them to a disc to give to her? (She lost her music library)

I tried iPod Liberator and iLinkpod. I've been having problems with both. The iPod was formatted with windows, and I do not have her library on my Mac. The problems I'm getting with iLinkpod is that it will make a backup just fine, but when the iPod is disconnected, the songs will not play. It's almost like its just making shortcuts of the songs. With iPod Liberator, it will make the backup but only copy about Artists and then stop copying. I think i will need to buy iPod Liberator for it to work fully.

I am still trying to get this to work. Thanks again for the help, and I thank you guys for any future help!

Well, it acts like it's making shortcuts to the song because it is making shortcuts to the song. You need to transfer the shortcuts to the song to the iTunes library in order for them to work. If that doesn't work, you can manually get to the songs - try this:
1. Open Terminal
2. Type "cd", then drag the iPod icon from the desktop to the Terminal window. This will type the location of your iPod automatically into Terminal.
3. Type "cp -R iPod_Control /Users/<youruserfolder>/Desktop"
4. All the music files on your iPod will now be located in a folder called "iPod_Control", on your Desktop.

EDIT:

5. The resulting files will be invisible, so you'll need to be able to view them to import. In terminal, type: "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES"
To make the changes take effect, type "killall Finder"
6. Go into the files, and import your music. The music files will be located in the iPod_Control folder on your desktop, and in that folder, music will be separated into more folders.
7.Once you've imported everything, you can go back to normal visibility by typing: "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO"
then
"killall Finder"

actually, if you just show hidden files, then you can access the files directly on the ipod. they're all there. just in hidden folders, named 01, 02, 03 etc, up to possibly 50 folders.

in those folders are all the songs on the ipod, split at an average, renamed and striped. this means that an album will go onto an ipod, where the 1st song goes in folder 01, and named as 01.mp3. the second song goes in folder 02, and named 01.mp3. further along the line, the 10th song on the 100th album goes into folder 36, and named as 32.mp3, for example. so it's actualy a terrible pain in the arse trying to find specific music, so you may as well pull all the songs off.

Back