Software Update Connectivity Probs

roger

Registered
I have Mac OSX.1.3 and it is working great, on the whole. However something has broken recently - software update. I have it set so that I manually check for software updates. However when I click on it now it immediately (near as dammit) comes back with 'Software Update cannot connect to the Internet, please check you settings....etc.'. However everything else can connect fine.

I presume that Software Update initiates the TCP/IP conversation and makes the connection. If there is some sort of loopback then my airport will be blocking the reconnection. However the error is being returned far too quickly for that (in my opinion) - that would result in a TCP/IP timeout error.

I know a bit about IP and I am pretty sure that it is not the IP level connectivity that is broken, but more a software issue on Software Update itself. It does not seem to be able to see the server that it is trying to connect to.

Anybody have any ideas? It is getting quite annoying.

Many thanks in advance,

Roger.

Make sure everything is specified and set up correctly in the "Network" system prefs. I had this problem a few months back and fiddling around in there seemed to fix it.

Back