Software update

Milo Rietvelt

Registered
Hi,

I have a Powerbook G4, 1,5 Ghz, 1GB DDR SDRAM & OSX 10.3.8. Here is my problem;
I can't update the software!
When I click on SOFTWARE UPDATE, I get the list with all the updates (it's getting longer every week). Then I click on INSTALL, the powerbook ask for my password, then all the software is downloaded and here it comes!!! I get a warning what says;"None of the selected updates could be installed. Make sure that you have permission to write to /private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate and try again."
Please help, I already runned DISK UTILITY, but nothing happened. I do have some other problems, like importing photo's from camera in iPhoto and some other problems, but that is for later. May be somebody can help me.

Milo

Consider performing the following:

As a precaution - quit all running applications, excluding 'Finder'.
Launch 'Terminal' [also in the '/Applications/Utilities/' folder - as is 'Disk Utiltiy'].
Copy the line below [from 'sudo' to, and including, 'TemporaryItems/']

sudo rm -rf /private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/; mkdir /private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/'

... and paste it into 'Terminal'. Next press the <return> key.
When asked for a 'password', enter your adminstrators password and press the <return> key.

Try obtaining the updates now; or, perhaps - you should consider downloading the various update installers from 'http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/' instead.
The main reasons for doing this, is - you can backup the installers and have them ready, should you need to reinstall them at a future date, without the need to re-connect to the internet.
Also, the update installers can be applied to many Mac models - whereas, the 'Software Update' installed / obtained files are specific to your Mac model.

barhar,

Thnx, I pasted the line into Terminal hit ENTER, but no password was asked. I closed Terminal and runned the software update, but I got the same error. Any other idea's? Anybody...?

Milo

I pasted the line into TERMINAL, and hitted ENTER again. my password was asked, but I couldn't type anything into Terminal. Please advise!

Milo

Milo Rietvelt said:
Do you mean that somebody else has my password?

...getting further into problems...

Milo

Oh no, no no no.

In Terminal, when it asks for your password, it doesn't show what you type.

So, instead of being ********* it would be <--- like this, lol.

Well,

Thanx, but nothing happened, I typed my password and this is what I saw

sudo rm -rf /private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/; mkdir /private/tmp/501: No such file or directory

I think I have to go to the APPLE store.

Milo

Milo, launch Software Update, and let it list the stuff. Select everything you want to update, then instead of hitting the "Install" button, go up to the menu bar to Update -> Download Only.

Doing this will download the installs, and you can try them one by one by double clicking on them. If you get the same message, I would try restarting your computer - that should clear up the problem with the temporary folder.

If you accidentally close the windows where the packages are downloaded to (Software Update will automatically open it up in the Finder for you), it's located at Library -> Packages (Note: That's the Library folder at the root level of your startup drive, NOT the Library folder in your Home folder.)

Hey Thanks DarkShadow,

I did what you posted. Then the error poped up that I didn't have any permission to library/packages. None of the updates could be downloaded. Well OK, I think it is APPLE STORE time....

Back