softwarebased DSL-router under osx

new_roti

Registered
hi

i have a DSL-Modem, one g4 with osx on it and a PC Laptop with windoze 2000

so dsl under osx is working! not very fast but ok!

now i want a solution to use the internet on the PC and mac at the same time .
tried brickhouse but i have no plan to configure or this funny app would'nt like to run correctly.

since a few month i tried the vicomsoft routersoftware on os 9. this app works quite good. but now i'm looking for a solution on osx which works like this or better or simpler. there must be a way!

what about ip sharing. i have no plan to configure on pc !

please help! urgent!

and sorry about my english!

How is your DSL connected to your G4? via Ethernet or USB or some other way? If it's not using your Ethernet port, you could just enable the built-in internet sharing that Jaguar has in the SHaring preference pane in System Preferences. Otherwise if your Ethernet port is your connection to the internet you may have to get a second ethernet card to share the DSL through to your laptop. Or, for a bit more you could get an Airport card for your G4 and an Airport-compatable wireless card for your laptop for wireless internet...

thank for yor fast reply

the dsl modem,mac and the pc are connected via a netgearhub port (ethernet)

so let me understand under 10.2 ther is a software solution under 10.1.5. not ! right?

Yes it comes a built in feature in 10.2 that works everytime and is easy to use unlike third-party solutions you have to use under 10.1.X. Just another reason to get Jaguar.

....downloading...

will post if it runs ! hope all is working as well. what about xpress, and older apps for osx 10.1.5?

Can you assign 2 IPs to one Ethernet card, like you can do in Win2k Server?

Or is 2 ethernetcards required to get this working in OS X?

I think you can, mine seems to be...in Network Prefs I have it set as 192.168.1.1 and when I open System Profiler it says that it is set to 192.168.2.1. This is on my tower, which shares my dial-up...

hi all

have baught a netgear dsl router/hub.

works great now without any software solution!

the only problem a have now is , i can't if i am online or not ,
the router runs over ethernet . the same connection wich i use to share between osx an win 2k laptop!

is there any small app to so if i'am online or not ?!?!

Generally, if you are using a standalone router for your DSL connection... you are always online. This is the reason why firewalls and other security measures are important when using DSL or Cable routers.

Now some people have USB DSL "modem" (incorrect term in reality but they seem like a modem to the computer user) and have to actually press a button to get them to connect. Correct me if I am wrong people.

Yeah BSDimwit is right ...

When u buy a router the standard config will be "stay online as long as possible" and "work as DHCP server". So normally u wont have a real idea if ur router is online or not.
In many routers u can change the properities of the acess time and the release times of ur dsl-dialin-connection using PPoE.
U should find out where such a thing is hidden in your netgear.
Normally its close to the general PPoE and such settings.

Good luck

Sascha

hi sasha,

danke erstmal für deine antwort!
ich geh mal dovon aus dass du deutsch kannst! nachdem deine loc in DL ist.

ja ich hab sowas gefunden : ein idle timeout ganz klar ! das geht auch soweit ich das überprüfen konnte nur das problem ist dass die einwahl trotz dsl rel lange dauert .dh wenn ich zb auf eine minute stelle dann und mache eine kurze pause dauert inet wieder lange bis es läuft - also lasse ich es auf ein paar mehr "zeit" stehen ....mache zb einen DL nach 10 min ....wenn ich was anderes gemacht (z.b. ein Wiesnbier getrunken hab) weis ich nicht ob ich online bin oder nicht.

ich will halt ne sichere sache online or not!

surftime 30 was nun flatrate?!?

so now in english:
i want just a simple app which tell me if my router is online or not!
there must be a way (eg. scanning the ip of the router by ping or html testing)
sorry but im not a developer!

For what it's worth, I found BrickHouse quite easy to set up, and I got internet sharing working pretty quick. Just follow the manual.

I agree that a hub's easier, though.

Back