some help from ssh/telnet pro please!!!!!

barrowman

Registered
I'm having some problems with a 3Com ADSL router/modem, and of course in typical tech-support style, they've given me the following instruction, without offering any instruction of how to do it?

Telnet to the 612 and complete the following sending me the output.

1/ list call events
2/ sh adsl version
3/ sh atm status
4/ li ip routes
please also ask the customer to show the current VC in use, you can check this
with "list vc" and then looking at the VC configured then show vc <name of vc>.

Please let me know if the Link light for the adsl is on or off?

The customer must implement these commands when the connection is made to the internet provider, Please also note that we only support the ADSL chipset of the following and must be compliant from the ISP, DMT issue 2 Alcatel chipset.

So could anyone please tell me how to do this, I'm a terminal idiot whos never used telnet before, so if you could walk me through it , step by step, I would really appreciate it, or if not a push in the right direction would be gr8

Thnx in advance

This should be a matter of first running
Code:
telnet 192.168.0.1 612
(replacing 192.168.0.1 with the IP for your router/modem). You should see something like
Code:
Trying 192.168.0.1...
Connected to 192.168.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
It may also print some information on the device to which you've connected. If you see
Code:
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
then you can't connect to port 612, which is all you can tell your tech support.

Otherwise, at this point, it should just be a matter of typing in the commands they've listed (list call events, etc ) and sending those results back.

thx for your help.

612 is actually the model no.

Connected to 192.168.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
password:

except when I enter my password and push enter it refuses it. of course its the same password I use on the html browser configuration, which does work, so not sure whats going on?

Back