Some minor OS X 10.1 problems..

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
Hey, I've been having a few problems with OS X 10.1, so I've been wondering if anyone else has been having these problems (actually, I think all of these have happened with OS 9 and OS X 10.0.4, so I dunno). Well, here they are:

• Every once in a while (it seems to be when I have iTunes open, but I can't be certain), all USB peripherals will stop responding.. the mouse, keyboard, speakers, all stop functioning. However, the system keeps on running without a hitch... I am forced to do a hard restart anyway. This seemed to happen mostly when I started a network game of Burning Monkey Puzzle Lab in native OS 9, but it has recently happened when I haven't been playing that. This has happened in OS 9, so this may be something independent of the system software, or a bug common to both. Any suggestions? Is it possible this is a hardware problem?

• This problem has seemed to only happen in OS X 10.1. Just a couple times, for no reason at all, the maximum sound would be lower than usual. I would struggle to listen to the music on both my headphones and speakers with background TV or music, and then I realized it wasn't as loud as it should be. I restarted, and they started working to full capacity again. Any suggestions for this?

• Application launchs are not nearly as fast as Apple made them out to be in OS X 10.1. (See my specs in my signature.) Sys prefs still launches in about 4 bounces, OW in about 12, IE in about 4, iTunes in about 3. No application launches in one single bounce, and I even have a G4. Is this normal? Or should I attempt a clean install of OS X 10.1? (This system has not been updated from the public beta. It is a 10.0 install updated to 10.0.4 and then 10.1.

Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by simX
[B
Ý Application launchs are not nearly as fast as Apple made them out to be in OS X 10.1. (See my specs in my signature.) Sys prefs still launches in about 4 bounces, OW in about 12, IE in about 4, iTunes in about 3. No application launches in one single bounce, and I even have a G4. Is this normal? Or should I attempt a clean install of OS X 10.1? (This system has not been updated from the public beta. It is a 10.0 install updated to 10.0.4 and then 10.1.

Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated. [/B]

... hmmm... app launching is certainly nearly as fast as jobs said it would be for me anyway...
omniweb, which takes longest, launches in four bounces the first time... sys prefs launches in three the first, two the second and one bounce the third time... mail, textedit and preview all launch in two the first time and in one henceforth ...
no idea why this isn't happening for you ...
prebinding maybe? i ran x-optimize directly after the installation ... maybe that helped...?!

Back