some one help please!!!

knowledgepower

Registered
:( hey everyone...
umm.. i dont know how to exactly explain the situation but i am going to try my best...well i am too familiar with mac....i was playing arround on my friends comp then i dont know why but i decided to change one of the properties...namely, i went to the users tabs and the username i was using had basic right so like the idoit i am i changed that to admin and when i restarted the comp... i get the logon window but i logon i go staight to a black command prompt like screen and i have to login again....since i dont know any commands in mac so i have no idea what to do....no after researching i found out how to get to "single user mode" and run the "fsck" command but that dont do anything....:( now all i want to know how do i get the comp back to the previous state....PLEASE I AM WILLING TO LEARN...IF THERE IS SOMETHING ANYONE DONT UNDERSTAND I WILL TRY TO LET THEM KNOW...I NEED HELP :confused: IN ADDITION PLEASE MAIL ME AT "knowledgepower10314@yahoo.com" thnks anyone who helps me in advance....

Fix the permissions on the drive - boot from the OS X install CD, wait for it to boot up, then look in one of the menus (I forget which one it is at the moment) to fix the permissions.

find out what the folder is that contains those settings then delete whats in it and that will take it back to the defaults. ive seen it done before but cant remember what directory you need to remove, ill look it up and keep you posted.

If you find your self at the black command prompt, you can type "reboot" to . . .well, reboot.

Then login with a working administator account and fix or recreate your account.

Need more help? Let us know.

Doug

thnks guys for the responce, dktrickey i have tried to reboot several times and the outcome is the same. Darkshadow i have tried to boot from the OS X CD but the problem is that when i am at the prompt i dont know how to open the drive from there...and even if i try to hold "cmd" key to see what system are displayed that still dont help me....THNKS bing for the advice...also another problem is that when i reboot the "disk symbol" rotates but then unexplainably at the grey screen the "single user mode" appears" i dont know why that is.....prior to that i was able to get to the login window but after runnin a cmd:
sudo niutil -createprop./users/username shell/bin /bash
after runnin this cmd and rebooting gave me this problem....if any one knows what i should do next please help..... ;)

You mean even holding down C to boot from your installation cd dumps you in single-user mode?

If so, I'm stumped. Booting from your installation cd should run the installer.

Doug

sup guys....ok now at this point i am getting hopeless....but anyhow i have a external disk drive can anyone tell me how i can get access to it?? anyone who doesnt know my problem please read me previous posts to get an idea...well i got the orignal cds but the problem is that i cannt seem to get the cd-rom open is there any command that i can use from the single user mode to eject the drive??? thnks all who have helped and will help... :confused:

okk guys....i was able to open the drive manually but now after rebooting several times and also using the system manager by holding the "option" key it doesnt show the disc even i refresh it now i dont know what to do so some help!!! :confused:

Get Disk Warrior 3.0 and run it on your disks.

Do NOT Use Norton's (very dangerous, it has screwed up a few of my drives, and generally is useless).

You will need the bootable version. Start from the CD by holding down the "C" key during start-up until you see the system boot-up.

I found OSX messes up hard drives much more than OS9 ever did. A pity!

Back