Some Qs

Fusengammu

Registered
A while ago, I started a thread about why C is so hard to learn. See, I am not a CS student or a computer professional. A long time ago I bought K&R's C Programming Language for a summer job in college, I was so clueless that I did a

void main()
{
int *i;
for( *i = 0; *i < 5; *i++ )
{
}
}

because although the concept of a ptr was explained, its use to me was totally mysterious. (Now I know better :))

Anyways, I will say I know C but have trouble when I try to read UNIX source code.

So back to the topic of my question. I wrote a simple iTunes plug-in a while ago using IB. I really want to write something as smooth and fast as iGoom (if you don't know it, check it out. Excellent plug-in). My plug-in was simple (just a frequency spectrum rendered in real time like on a stereo), but I want to experiment with more graphics intensive stuff. I went to the book store and couldn't find any stuff on QuickDraw, Quartz. Is there any book anyone recommends?

Also, I was wondering, if iTunes is a Carbon app (even if it is not, hypothetically speaking here) would it be possible to write a plug-in for it in Cocoa? I was reading that QuickDraw is no longer the way to go, and that developers should write in Quartz.

The kid who wrote iGoom says something about using AltiVec extensions in the code to make it run faster. Where the heck do you find documentation about rocket science like that :confused: :confused:

I guess I really want to try my hand at Cocoa. When I was working for a startup a while ago as a Java programmer, I felt that Java was nice because its so empowering. It removes so much of the hurdles of C and lets the programmer focus on the logic and not the writing. But it must be said I am a pretty crappy programmer anyway.:eek:

Back