Some sites not loading in 10.2.1

mtjn

noob
I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but I don't have the time to do an extended search. I have encountered a strange problem. I just switched to cable from DSL and now some sites won't load. After an hour or so, I couldn't load many sites e.g. apple, cnet, some other "big" sites, plus some sites of questionable media...very wierd. I then started Internet Explorer in classic mode and that was working fine. When I quit classic, I restart IE in 10.2.1 then it was working fine. I really don't want to go through all that, but is there some setting that I'm missing? I called my ISP about the DNS address and they said that Charter uses one that changes every time you log on or something like that. They didn't want to offer any more help since I'm routing my cable to two other 9.2.2 systems which are running fine. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Try surfing with another browser to see if you get the same problems... try Chimera which is really really fast and see what happens...

I tried Chimera. Great browser, but no luck. I tried netscape as well, still nothing. It hasn't been giving me problems in the past two days, only a handful of sites won't load. Not really sure what's going on.

First DNS addresses should not change ever. If they did it would be impossible to surf the web. Now when you are saying that you share the connection I assume that you are using a switch and either a hardware or software router. This means that you are probable using DHCP or Manual NAT to provide IP addresses to your machines. I would check to see if your IP config in your OS X is matching what you see in the OS 9 configs. This includes DNS, Subnet, Router, and IP address except the last octet.

I had the exact same problem a while back in 10.1.x with dialup. In my case, there were four different addresses under domain name servers in network preferences. I decided to try deleting the first address so the connection would default to one of the other addresses. It worked for me and I haven't had a problem since. Maybe all you need is a different DNS to fix your problem.

I have noticed that IE 5.2.2 under OSx 10.2.1 occasionally will hang up and quit loading URLs on cable. I simply quit and relaunch it and all is well. Oh well, the cost of using an Inferior browser.

Back