Something New In 10.2.5??

spitty27

Apple Avid
Hey,

I noticed it this morning. I've seen two weird things happen in 10.2.5, and I was wondering if it may have to do with my setup, or 10.2.5 on my setup, or did I get a diff copy of 10.2.5 then the rest of you...

Problem A:

In 10.2.5 on my Pismo, when I hold down [control], while my mouse cursor is on top of any window, and I start to move the mouse, the window moves with it. I am not clicking anywhere on the screen, just holding down [control]. I know that in a metal appearance application, you can click anywhere to move it, but this also works in the finder.

Problem B:

When I point my mouse to the bottom or top of any window that requires scrolling (a side scroll bar), the page automatically starts scrolling!!! Again, I'm not clicking anywhere! I have a 3 Button Mouse with Wheel but I'm not even using the wheel.

If anyone could explain any of this? Is this happening to anyone else too?

It sounds like your Mac thinks the mouse is holding down a button. Have you tried un-plugging your mouse and plugging it back in?

It's not that it thinks its holding down the button. It just automatically scrolls if you position it to the bottom or top of a scrollable window. It doesnt start drawing a box in the finder. Any explanation for the control clicking window moving?!!!! This is so weird! Maybe it's a bug with PowerBook G3 Pismo...

Cool man! What mouse are you using? Sounds like drivers are auto loaded! LOL. They might have added the drivers for the mouse in the OS. Nothing new, like how Blutooth drivers are built into the OS.

I've had a similar problem with my Logitech MX-500 7-button mouse. In my case it starts to interpret every click as a control-click. I say control-click rather than right-click because it seems to think the control key is being held down; keyboard shortcuts result in an error beep once this begins.

So far the only fix I've found is to log out. However, I hadn't thought of unpugging the mouse. I only moved over to USB this month with the purchase of a Digital Audio tower, and my ADB upbringing forbids hot swapping.

I really like my over-buttoned Logitech peripherals, but their driver software might just put me back in Kensington's camp.

I've got a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (Intellieye with scroll wheel) attached to my Pismo, but don't experience the same thing as you Spitty27 in 10.2.5

The only suggestion I have is remove the Logitec mouse .plist file, restart and see if you experience the same again.

At first, I thought it might eb Universal Access, but I went through all the options, and couldn't find anything that would be causing the mouse to scroll, or the windows to move with [control] down. Yeah, I'm up for a restart....I'll check back with you soon. Thanks for All the Help.

Do you have another mouse that you can try, just to see if it DOES have something to do with the mouse/drivers?

Damn so many problems in 10.2.5!!!!!

This is the third problem im having now.

I tried the restart, and when it restarted, I got this funky mouse icon. I am guessing it had to do something with MightyMouse, because all the different types of cursors are mixed up. The wait cursor has an alias cursor, the I-Beam is a white PC mouse... Thats not all. I lost the dropshadow on my menu bar. My harddrive sometimes spins for a minute with the wait cursor doing nothing. I tried taking a picture of the mouse, but it got kinda cut off. I'll post them in a sec. I booted up from my 10.2 disc, and tried disc utility, and it found some errors, and when I hit repair, it still showed the errors, but said it repaired. (Though verifying once more, still found the errors). I don't want to reformat and reinstall from fresh. There's way too much to backup. The 10.2 disc would not let me just reinstall the OS OVER the current 10.2.5. Do I need to 10.2 update cd to be able to do that? Is there a way to JUST install 10.2 over the current system, and then update back to 10.2.5 with the combo update?

http://spitty27.cjb.net/mousepics/mouse1.jpg

http://spitty27.cjb.net/mousepics/mouse.jpg

P.S. The mouse is still scrolling, and [control] still moves the windows. I noticed something else, but I think its a feature. [command] + [brighter screen button]. Does that refresh the screen? What good does that do?

EDIT: Posted the pics...they take too much scrolling on this site, and screw up the layout, so I'll keep them as links.

I read in another thread that someone had somewhat of a same problem not being able to reinstall the OS. Now I remember...my main drive was greyed out in Disk Utility, meaning, it wasn't mounted, and when I ran the 10.2 installation, and reached the "Choose A Drive" selection, my main drive wasn't an option. Can I mount the drive from within Disk Utility when I boot off from the 10.2 disc? Then can I reinstall 10.2 and update to 10.2.5?

Why does it have to be so complicated!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHH

Update: I've zapped the PRAM, repaired, verified disk permissions about 600 times, and still nothing. When I was able to log in still, I managed to install AquaFix, so now my mouse is correct, but I dont get past the Mac OS X thermometer bar on startup - stuck at the blue screen.

Originally posted by spitty27
I read in another thread that someone had somewhat of a same problem not being able to reinstall the OS. Now I remember...my main drive was greyed out in Disk Utility, meaning, it wasn't mounted, and when I ran the 10.2 installation, and reached the "Choose A Drive" selection, my main drive wasn't an option. Can I mount the drive from within Disk Utility when I boot off from the 10.2 disc? Then can I reinstall 10.2 and update to 10.2.5?

Why does it have to be so complicated!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHH

Sounds kind of like a problem i had before.

I don't know exactly what you were saying, but when you run the 10.2 installation disk and your "main drive wasn't an option", do you mean the name as dimmed or was it just not there?

If the latter of the two, that's the problem I had. What kind of computer do you have? If you have a laptop, shut it down using the reset button and take out the battery for like 15 minutes and then put the battery back in and wait for another good 15 minutes. Then try booting up and holding the 'x' key. Or start up from the Jaguar CD. If you have a desktop computer or a tower, I'm not as sure. Probably shut down and unplug for a while.

Repair both the disk and disk permissions at least one time. If you get your computer to start up normally, try trashing Mighty Mouse and any other slightly-risky stuff like that, even Konfabulator if you have it. Back up your Widgets or cursor sets and stuff if you want to.

Run any other disk utilities that you have too.

Once you get your computer started up normally and have deleted all that you want to, restart your computer from the apple menu quite a few times to make sure nothing changes each time.

If the problem persists or comes back, completely wipe out the hard drive and install Jaguar.

If that doesn't help (which happened to me), bring your computer into an Apple store and let them check your hardware. You may have a bad hard drive.

Now keep in mind that I'm speaking from experience, not really intelligence ;)

Good luck :)

oh, haha I didn't see that you said you had verified and repaired disk permissions a bunch. Disregard anything I said about those then. But the rest of my long post still applies.

Yey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow...OK, I'll start explaining everything. I thought that I could install 10.2 on my small 1gig partition, but after 3 tries, and errors, I resorted to installing 9 on it. Before I tried that, my brother realized that my external drive is connected to my computer by 6pin to 6pin firewire, and i could plug in directly my computer to his through target disk mode. He gave me a new copy of CoreServices folder, but I kept my finder, and all is well now. I am still considering backing all up and reformatting, because...well...my drive is still a bit messed up.

Thanks for all the help!

Back