Something Wierd is happening

buc99

Don't Tread on Me!
I re-installed OSX on my TiBook. Everything seems to work Ok. Ifollowed the disk partitioning scheme that allowed me to mv my Applications and Users folder to their own partition. I created an fstab file and everything mounted ok. Everything seems to work fine, but when I go to mount an image file (.img or .dmg) I get an error 192 and diskcopy won't mount the file. The image is not corrupt because I can turn around and mount it through toast with no problems. Anyone know what this 192 error is or what mey be wrong with disk copy?

Thanks,:)
SA

when I tried to use the sudo command I got the following response:
Sorry, sudo must be setuid root.

Any ideas on this one also?

SA

For what regard DiskCopy error:
Are you sure you have not removed a user named noboy via netinfo ??

The permissions seem to be OK for / and /usr. The permissions are alright for both /Applications and /User. /usr is:
drwxr-xr-x 12 root wheel 364 Sep 2 2001 usr

/Applications is:
drwxrwxr-x 31 root admin 1010 Mar 22 10:46 Applications

/Users is:
drwxr-xr-x 8 root wheel 230 Mar 21 16:46 Users

However, when I checked the permissions for sudo they were:
---s--x--x 1 montana unknown 107608 Mar 21 08:06 /usr/bin/sudo

montana of course is my username. So somehow I may have hosed my /usr directory cause I also get the following at the top of any new terminal:
login: setgroups: Operation not permitted

I can't su into root from this user. However, I was able to set the root password with Netinfo and I am able to log into root from the login panel. I can't su to root from this user though. So I can change the group and owner settings on sudo from root by logging out and then logging back into root and changing them in the root terminal. Before I do so, does this seem like a valid path to take. Also how can I reset the permissions on the /usr directory so that I won't get the "login: setgroups: Operation not permitted" message?

Thanks,
SA

When I went to re-install my TiBook, I first backed up my User, /usr, and /etc folders on my iBook through a firewire connection. I then proceeded to re-install OS on my TiBook. After installing OSX and updating all the software, I then moved the User and Application folders to their own partitions and created an fstab, per your instructions. Everything is fine there.

I then proceeded to replace the /etc and /usr directories from the backup. I believe this is where the problem begins. But I can't figure out how they lost their permissions since they were copied with the ditto -rsrc command. But that is where I am at now so hopefully this will solve the problem.

SA

Ok. I chown everything in /usr. Now when I try the sudo command I get the following:
sudo: /etc/sudoers is owned by uid 501, should be 0

When I looked at the permissions I get:
---s--x--x 1 root wheel 107608 Mar 21 08:06 /usr/bin/sudo

Also Do I need to do the same to /etc?

Thanks again. It seems you are always answering my questions. Thank you for pulling me from the depths of my nieveness. (If that is even a word). Hopefully I will get this Unix stuff down eventually.

SA

I gues I should have paid more attention to the error message:
sudo: /etc/sudoers is owned by uid 501, should be 0

"/etc" So I guess I do need to do the same thing. That has now fixed the issue. Is there somewhere I can go to see which directories need to be owned by root and placed in the group admin and which need to be owned by root and placed in the group wheel. I guess group wheel is for user access and admin is for root access only? Is this correct? Maybe I'm begining to see the light.

Once again you have saved me Testuser. Please forgive my humble ignorance.

By the way....

You wouldn't happen to know how to make a bootable cd so that I could run something like drive 10 from it to examine a computer hard drive? I tried some app that was supposed to do this, but the CD it made tried to load the OSX installer and crashed.

Thanks again.:)

SA

Back