Sonnet Encore/ST G4 Dead?

karmat

Registered
I have a G4 400Mhz Sawtooth and just bought a Sonnet 1.7Ghz G4 upgrade from OWC last week and it got here Friday. I installed it yesterday after following all of the instructions. It was working okay in 9.2 but refused to boot into 10.3.9 at all. There were other strange symptoms:

--Wouldn't boot when machine was turned on until you pressed the reset button
--When it went to sleep in 9.2 it wouldn't wake up
--Wouldn't boot 10.3.9 (would start to read the disk, then just hang)

I am booting 10.3.9 from a Firewire disk, but I took it out of its case and installed it directly in the system just in case that was the problem.

Today it will no longer do anything at all. No 9.2, nothing. I re-installed my 400Mhz chip and everything is fine, boots 10.3.9, 9.2, sleeps, wakes up, etc. Tried switching back to the Encore and it's dead again...

Is this thing toast? Sounds to me like it was dying from the day I installed it.
Anyone have any experience with these?

Probably not a good sign that they are gone from OWC's website today... they were there on tuesday!

Thanks

Karl

Hi Karl,
Did you ever resolve this? How did you resolve it? I'm having similar problem. Just had an old Encore ST G4 (mine is a 1 GHz card) die, sent in under warrenty, and was sent a new one. I'm having the same problem as you were. Sonnet support has been trying to help troubleshoot the problem but nothing has worked yet.
Thanks for any help you can offer!
David

karmat said:
I have a G4 400Mhz Sawtooth and just bought a Sonnet 1.7Ghz G4 upgrade from OWC last week and it got here Friday. I installed it yesterday after following all of the instructions. It was working okay in 9.2 but refused to boot into 10.3.9 at all. There were other strange symptoms:

--Wouldn't boot when machine was turned on until you pressed the reset button
--When it went to sleep in 9.2 it wouldn't wake up
--Wouldn't boot 10.3.9 (would start to read the disk, then just hang)

I am booting 10.3.9 from a Firewire disk, but I took it out of its case and installed it directly in the system just in case that was the problem.

Today it will no longer do anything at all. No 9.2, nothing. I re-installed my 400Mhz chip and everything is fine, boots 10.3.9, 9.2, sleeps, wakes up, etc. Tried switching back to the Encore and it's dead again...

Is this thing toast? Sounds to me like it was dying from the day I installed it.
Anyone have any experience with these?

Probably not a good sign that they are gone from OWC's website today... they were there on tuesday!

Thanks

Karl

Back