sonnett processor upgrade

crash

and burn
i just upgraded my sawtooth 400 to a 1GHz sonnet Encore/ST...

i also added 1GB of ram.

it might just be my imagination, but the system feels much snappier, way more responsive, and Photoshop tasks are much faster.

i found the card on http://www.nextag.com for relatively cheap, too.

just for general welfare of mac people, i would reccomend this product highly. they also make the Sonnet Encore/ST Duet... dual processor upgrades for your single processor mac. very nice.

Attachments

• specs.jpg
    specs.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 20
Mazel tov.

You will definitely see a speed increase, as you're going from a 400 Mhz processor to a gigahertz with over a gigabyte of RAM; this is very delightful for Photoshop and OS X.

sonnet should start making ppc-970 upgrades for rev. b iMac's :^) this baby could really cook with a 2 ghz 970 :^)

edit : i hate this mofo xxxxx:)xxxxx

I put a PowerLogix 1Ghz upgrade in my G4/450/AGP and there are no incompatibilities with anything. Works great.

the sonnet card dropped right in. installation involved a minimal amount of effort. it really was as easy as following the directions.

also, part of sonnet's schtick is that their upgrades are 100% compatible with software: no drivers needed. it uses apple's updated firmware to stay compatible.

Thanxs, I ordered the sonnet card in light of the drop. Something I have been meaning to due anyway. I have never used a third party processor upgrade on my Macs. I remember Apple used to offer them. I been checking out Ebay, with no success of OEM cards. I purchased the sonnet card. Looking forward to it.

Thanxs you all.

no problem. i would aslo reccomend some more ram if your machine isn't already maxed out. adding that GB of ram to my machine along with the processor provided a noticeable improvement. the dock is so smooth now. and photoshop is much more responsive and faster at complex operations.

whether you buy ram or not, good luck.

I ordered a Sonnet becaus of the reason crash listed ... COMPATIBILITY!! they use apple firmware and you're more likely guranteed no hassles down the road with OS X updates vs. other cards. i bought the 1.2Ghz upgrade (the actually shipped a 1.250 Ghz by accident but i'm not complaining) and it's worked like a CHARM!!! great investment =)

powermac: What permutation of RAM chips do you have in your machine that gives you 898 MB?

Back