Sony camcorders, HD and iMovie 11???

Starter

Registered
I want to buy a HD camcorder and import video into iMovie 11, but on the internet I see many confusing statements about problems using HD and iMovie.

My basic question is: what Sony HD camcorder should I but that works well with iMovie 11?

The 2 current Sony models that I'm most interested are:
HDR-CX160 or HDR-CX130

From all the places I've read about these problems, I conclude that:
1. Macs don't easily import the HD format ACVHD natively (at least into iMovie or Final Cut Express)
2. These programs apparently convert the native ACVHD video to a format that these programs can handle, but almost triple the storage size of the content
3. There are many variations on formats, and camcorder companies like Sony are constantly changing/adding new variations, making it hard for software vendors (including Apple) to keep up
4. Apple has a list of compatible camcorders in their support forum, but the list has not been updated since Sept 2010, and so it doesn't have these models, and doesn't refer to iMovie 2011.

What I am VERY UNCLEAR on is whether the 2 Sony models above will work at least as well as the camcorders on this list, and have no additional problems. For example, in one forum, someone was complaining about not being able to import the sound with the video into iMovie (although apparently there is a complicated third-party work around)

After exhausting myself reading internet forums, books, and even talking to Applecare experts, I finally come to my most dependable source for difficult technical problems ---- macosx.com!

Please help!

Back