sony dcr-trv140 and os x

Silvereclipse00

Registered
I just recieved a Sony DCR-trv140 for Christmas and although the instructions state it will work for a Mac (os 8.5 and higher but no OS x) I can't get it to work at all in either operating system. I tried iMovie, it won't work with that and I tried the ImageMixer program that came with and that won't work either...can anyone help
please
I am so desperate
Jeff

Are you using a USB or firewire cable? I'd bet you're using USB, as thats what comes with it,if you are you need to use firewire. That camera should work without any problems in OS X. If you're already using firewire, it should work, Sony lists the camera as having OS X support so I'd call them if it doesn't work via firewire.

Brian

I bought a DCR-TRV18 camera explicitly for taping our soon-to-be-here baby :) I have never tried the camera w/ the USB cable, but as soon as I used a FireWire cable (6-pin to 4-pin, got mine at Wal-Mart for $25) OSX auto-opened iMovie. I've never had any issues with it at all.

Try a firewire cable and see if that helps :)

I have a different sony camcorder. if you connect the camera via an USB port, you have to switch the power button to camera.

if you want to use the camera with iMovie, you switch to vcr and connect via a firewire cable.

Originally posted by DrHogie
I bought a DCR-TRV18 camera explicitly for taping our soon-to-be-here baby :) I have never tried the camera w/ the USB cable, but as soon as I used a FireWire cable (6-pin to 4-pin, got mine at Wal-Mart for $25) OSX auto-opened iMovie. I've never had any issues with it at all.

Try a firewire cable and see if that helps :)

I'm awaiting my trv18 to ship from amazon.com for my soon to be here baby :)

Sweet, just checked amazon, and it shipped today! They said it wouldn't ship till middle of Jan. Ofcourse, amazon says it's est delivery is tommorow, but UPS says the 27th, I'm betting amazon is just being wacked, but I guess I'll find out tommorow.

Brian

Thanks everyone, I'm not sure what cable to get for the camera. Does anyone know what pin to what pin? I've been dying to hook something up to those damn firewire ports, they just look so lonely.
Thanks

it should be a 4 pin to 6 pin cable (as opposed to the iPods 6 pin to 6 pin connector)

4 pin ports are common in PC lan because they are slightly cheaper. They also do not carry power; they only carry data - which really sucks.

I have OS 10.5.6 and the Sony digital handycam DCR-TRV140 and when I try to upload to iMovie using the firewire I purchased, it rewinds, then doesn't import, it just cuts off--or it uploads a 3-second clip. Is there software I can use to correct this? Worst case, can I take my tapes to a place that can transfer them to a format iMovie recognizes?

Back