Sorting photos

Madelin

Registered
When i import a photo into iPhoto its copied and saved into the iPhoto directory. However when i browse this directory albums are split up into folders named 'Roll 47'...48...49...etc... making it hard to browse photos using the finder.

Is it possible to have iPhoto store the pictures in a way that i can easily browse using finder so i can delete the originals, thus reducing the space taken up with pictures on my Mac by 50%.

I hope that all made sense. Thanks in advance!

How do you figure that will save space? If you have 100 photos in your iPhoto library, that takes up as much space as 100 photos. If you delete them, you won't have them anymore. They aren't doubled up just because you can see them in iPhoto and also in the Finder - you're looking at the same files in both cases.

Thanks for the reply, however I knew I hadn't explained very well.

Say i have three photos on my desktop. I import them to iPhoto so now i have 6 photos on my HDD. I cant view the ones stored in 'Pictures' by iPhoto easily due to them being put in folders named like Roll 23...24...25...etc... So i have to keep the ones on my desktop so i can view my photos in finder and preview if i want to.

How can i make it so iPhoto doesnt split up my photos into weirdly names folders, but in folders with the same title as the name of the album they are in in iPhoto?

Hope this makes more sense now.

How can i make it so iPhoto doesnt split up my photos into weirdly names folders..."

Firstly i don't use iPhoto much but i just had a look at it... Now i have questions:

In the Preference>Advanced i tried turning ON and OFF the MAKE A COPY IN THE iPHOTO FOLDER. I imported one photo dimension 100x100 and size 4KB, with the Copy turned OFF it appears to make a copy with a new dimension of 360x360 and 36KB in iPhoto>Originals>Roll19>

In the GET INFO it says it is "on disk" not an "alias"???
So yes it seems to just do this!

Within the Pictures folder, I prefer to create Folders that have unique names that i can keep track of...move them from the desktop. I've never had a problem finding photos.

Ive saved all iPhoto Pics to a folder on desktop now and deleted all iPhoto data.
Ive turned off MAKE COPY IN IPHOTO FOLDER.
Now if i import a 1.6MB photo to iPhoto library only a link to the picture is saved in the iPhoto directory (saving alot of space compared to before).

So all in all problem solved, but its taking a while to copy and sort pictures out again.

STAY OUT OF THE FINDER! You are asking for trouble if you do anything to your photos in the finder. Lost photos, corrupted photos, etc. Guaranteed!

Now from within the app, just rename "roll47" to something more descriptive -- "a day at the beach" for example. Collapse the rolls and you will have an organized listing of what is in the rolls. Easy.

iPhoto does not duplicate photos. In the finder (look, but don't touch!) you will find a folder named "originals" -- these are truly the originals of your photos. iPhoto keeps them in case you want to go back to the original after editing, etc. You will also find a folder named "modified" -- this is just what it says it is -- any photo that you have edited, cropped, rotated, etc. That is the only duplication. You can use a program like iPhoto Diet to remove duplicates, and, if you want, the originals of the modified photos if you are sure you will never want to get at the originals again. Use this wisely, and think about what you want and what you are doing.

I cannot stress enough -- stay out of the finder! Havoc will ensue!

Back