Sound keeps moving to the left side only?

Jay Murray

Registered
Hi all,

One little problem that has confused me with Tiger is that my sound always seems to shift to the left side often when I casually use my Powerbook. Usually I start to notice how the right speaker is quiet, so I go into my System Prefs and enter the "Sound" pref - the speakers are balanced for the left side! It's always random too, sometimes it's 100% to the left side, sometimes it's only half-way there. It's almost like a keyboard shortcut is causing my Powerbook to shift the balance to the left often.. although it has shifted it to the right side once or twice.

It's pretty annoying, especially when I watch a DVD half way through and notice it could've sounded that much better had I known it wasn't playing in a balanced stereo..

I run Tiger 10.4.3 on a Powerbook G4..

Any help out there?

This used to happen on my iBook once every so often - maybe once every couple of months, the balance would inexplicably have jumped halfway to the left. I never did figure out what was causing it, though.

The same thing has happened to me, but I've never figured out the cause. It's happened every few months, on both my old iMac DV+ running Panther and my new Mac mini running Tiger (although I'm not sure I've had the problem since I upgraded to Tiger). I honestly thought I was going deaf in one ear for a while.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Yeah, it's still happpening to me - in fact it just happened, and that's what prompted me to return to this thread. Thanks for your inputs though!

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I've noticed it happens after using DVD Player.

And yes, it's happened to me since Mac OS 10.2.0...which means it's been happening for like 2 years :p

Anyway, if you do a search of this forum you'll probably find a topic I made about it. Just like now, no one seems to have a solution. Someone let Apple know will they? :p

Hmm. If DVD Player is the problem, you might want to start using VLC to play DVDs instead. That's the best I've got.

VLC is a good recommendation - I use it all the time, but I love DVD Players interface and controls..

That's interesting that Veljo suggested DVD Player, because I'm 99% sure that's true in my case.. I always seem to notice it during a movie. Maybe DVD Player has a key shortcut in it to switch balance?

Back