Sound on Cube

knussear

Registered
The sound output panel doesnt recognize the stock speakers on my cube.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Its back. Odd the System profile (new and much improved by the way) shows a set of USB speakers, but the sound output panel shows none.

It's still essentially a beta release, they'll probably fix it with the official version.

Same thing for me too!
CUBE+Panther Beta=unstable USB speakers and therefore partially working
iTunes.
Sometimes they show up,sometimes not.
Any help?

Only help I can offer is reverting to 10.2.x.

This is the first dev build of a beta OS. I'm having the same problem on my G4 MDD (got a set of Cube speakers hooked up to it). Sometimes swapping the USB ports will make the Sound prefs recognize them, although that wouldn't be very convenient for Cube owners.

Its working again!!!!

yipeeeeh
I hotplugged the Cube speakers into the CUBE USB port and not the Display port.
Guess what?!
It recognized the speakers!
BTW-with Classic everything still worked via the display USBs.
strange!

Not strange at all. If you actually read the Cube owner's manual you'll see that they recommend that you plug the speakers directly into the Cube rather than a USB hub because they draw so much more power than regular USB devices and the *Cube has a more powerful USB output*.

*Which is evident if you connect the Cube speakers to another non-Cube system. With all sound settings max on my G4 MDD the volume is 1/2 to 2/3 the volume of a Cube with the same speakers connected.

Originally posted by cybergoober

*Which is evident if you connect the Cube speakers to another non-Cube system. With all sound settings max on my G4 MDD the volume is 1/2 to 2/3 the volume of a Cube with the same speakers connected.

I Always wondered why my Cube Speakers seemed quiet! Not that i couldn't deal with it. :p So is that true? Wow, i gotta try that! The only thing is ...i don't have my Cube on my desk (yes, its NOT sat next to my Apple LCD.. Sacrilege ;)) Could i use my keyboard's USB Extension for the USB connection without losing any Sound or whatever, cuz i don't want the cube on my desk really! It's too loud now (*Irony*)

Hmmm People,

posted too fast!
The Cube hangs again,i.e.the speakers are dead again and iTunes wont work for me.
same setup
guess it has something to do with USB recognition in Panther or some sort of prevention of drawing too much power from the DCDC.
sh.....t
fsck and disk repair&permissions repair did not help!

My cube speakers haven't stopped working yet, but I do have them connected through a Griffin audio hub, which provides more power than most.

Read my original post and start complaining in September if your sound still flakes with the retail version of Panther.

fsck always looks like a swear word to me.

Arden, no-one is really complaining tho, we all appreciate it's not a "work in development" release, but whilst that is true. If possible, we still would like to play with things, and get things to work. No1's crying if it does'nt but where-ever people have info to share, they will do so ... In threads like these!

Back