sound problems after 10.4.7 updates

almeath

Registered
I have experienced some strange problems with sound in several PC emulators, such as Virtual PC 7.0.2 and GuestPC 1.9 following installation of the MacOS X 10.4.7 update.

Specifically, the sound has stopped working completely in Guest PC and partially in VPC. Win2k gets sound in VPC, but my installation of DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11 has lost sound.

I specifically remember the sound working ok in 10.4.6 and previous installations.

Unfortunately I have not been using the emulators frequently, so I cannot tell whether they stopped working properly after the upgrade to 10.4.7 or just the latest security patch.

The guys who support GuestPC have been trying valiantly to help me resolve the problem but I think I have them stumped.

I read another thread that recommended loading GarageBand and checking the Audo MIDI settings. The settings are fine on my system - the output is set to 48000hz.

It is a frustrating problem because the partial sound in VPC suggests a bug of some kind but I cannot go back to earlier versions of Tiger to rule this out.

I have a 1.8Ghz iMac G5 (PPC) with 10.4.7 and the latest security patch installed.

Since you stated you don't use the emulators often, why worry about sound working or not. I have the sound disabled on my VPC as it takes CPU cycles for the VPC session to create sound. Overhead that I don't wanna use just to have dings in windows.

I also turned my video resolution down to 16 bits instead of 32 - for performance.

I think you are right that it is a bug, but I don't think it is much of a worry?

How much ram do you have on the Mac? how much is allocated to the VPC session?

I have experienced some strange problems with sound in several PC emulators, such as Virtual PC 7.0.2 and GuestPC 1.9 following installation of the MacOS X 10.4.7 update.

Specifically, the sound has stopped working completely in Guest PC and partially in VPC. Win2k gets sound in VPC, but my installation of DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11 has lost sound.

I specifically remember the sound working ok in 10.4.6 and previous installations.

Unfortunately I have not been using the emulators frequently, so I cannot tell whether they stopped working properly after the upgrade to 10.4.7 or just the latest security patch.

The guys who support GuestPC have been trying valiantly to help me resolve the problem but I think I have them stumped.

I read another thread that recommended loading GarageBand and checking the Audo MIDI settings. The settings are fine on my system - the output is set to 48000hz.

It is a frustrating problem because the partial sound in VPC suggests a bug of some kind but I cannot go back to earlier versions of Tiger to rule this out.

I have a 1.8Ghz iMac G5 (PPC) with 10.4.7 and the latest security patch installed.

It should be 44,100hz, not 48,000.

Do any other apps, like QuickTime Player, have the any sound problems?

I have 1GB RAM, with 256MB allocated for use by VPC, although I do not think RAM allocation is the problem as peformance is otherwise good.

I will set the sound back to 44,100, but I have tested with both and the problem occurs either way.

I mainly use the emulators to play some old games, so the lack of sound makes it kind of pointless.

Looks like I will have to wait for the next updates on these programs and hope for the best.

Sorry, I forgot to mention - no I do not have any other sound problems with apps like Quicktime.

For some reason only the emulators are affected.

Back